• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

Roman, just to confirm, although I am sure you realised this yourself, there is no point in applying your newly learned skill with GPL Wall Changer to spa67 as that team have the build files so they can make any of it look how you need. Also if you did edit the 3do directly, then every time they recompile you would lose your edits to the 3do. GPL Wall Changer is really the tool of choice for adjusting released tracks where you do not have access to the original source files, if you are scratch editing then there are certainly easier ways. :)

Rob

#27 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,188 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

rob, i'm aware of that :). what i was thinking of was, well not exactly the changing mapping variant, but really the adding stuff variation. oh and i have thought about the changes made since the last version already. from what i have seen and heard a lot has changed.
so i could add stuff myself, but take notes or keep the necessary files to the same things can applied for the final assembly later on if deemed useful. i was thinking about adding additional vegetation for the "ultimate" version, like when the track is essentially ready, have the option of taking it further with more details (unless that is too much for gpl to bear - we'll see).
besides it was an idea to try things out before we actually make the real change for the final. like adding extra grass to the side of the track to see how it checks out - if it's crap, that's a strike. if it's good, it may be worth thinking about / implementing in the build. if that makes sense :)

#28 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

Only a suggestion, but it is not much of a step to make yourself a simple track and edit it yourself. You can then use it as a test bed to try out ideas. I have a track like that myself where I want to make a quick and dirty compile to test an object, check collision is right (if applicable) etc. I can easily drop it in, try it out, and then if I like it I can put it into the main track.

You could also then look at the effect of adding layers of grass around the track to build in depth etc., and get an idea how it might affect FPS etc. There is a GPL foggy track that was released where it was basically for this sort of idea, as a test track to try out graphics effects, and the guy liked how it turned out so he released it.

The file format for adding objects in TRL and the compiler should also be compatible, so it would be easy to take your additions list and add it to the main compile if you are working that way. That would mean though that you would need a cln for spa67 so that you can try things out yourself. I can make this for you, but, as they are still adjusting the track it is not always worth doing this until the layout will not change any more.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, 25 May 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#29 Pavel

Pavel

Honored Member

• 372 posts
  • Interests:Autosport, Simracing, Music

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:00 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on 24 May 2011 - 08:07 AM, said:

In the Oulton track sub forum you will find reconstructed build files for that project which I made from the John Black original track. I talked to him and he had long since lost his build files and so I recreated them with help from Paul and Ginetto and we have files that allow us to compile our own version of the track, with groove (using the latest compiler), (which John's original would not do due to the tools he originally used). That project is actually very close to being finished, as it really just needs the SET/unk4 values tweaking to improve FPS and some final texture and object tweaking to be done. Paul and Remy put in a lot of work on it already for the interim graphics update which was released to make the current version prettier, the rebuild was really only to allow the addition of a groove to the track.
Sorry for offtopic. But what happened to this project? Update by Paul and Remy was release somewhere in 2008. This quote form post in 2011 and it says update is close to finish. So what happened? :are_you_there:

Edited by Pavel, 06 May 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#30 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,621 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

I think that I posted all the bits to the "tracks to be finished" forum here at GPLR.

Rob

#31 Pavel

Pavel

Honored Member

• 372 posts
  • Interests:Autosport, Simracing, Music

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Oh, I think I don't have access to this forum.