27 replies to this topic

#1 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

Hi all,

in case you are running Windows 10 and have recently installed the latest updates (called creator's update
for whatever reasons) and are experiencing issues with your games like random stuttering with the sound
dropping out, too, feel free to try this:

- Open Registry Editor (Run > regedit)
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
- Set the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
- Create new <key> "GameDVR".
- Create new <DWORD 32bit> called "AllowGameDVR" and set to 0
Restart your computer.

I was trying to drive Assetto Corsa in career  mode earlier today and driving became unbearable with all
the stuttering. For the first time I've also noticed the sound dropping out at the same time. So I did the
usual, disabled SLI - tried again, nope. Disabled any additional software (i.e. system monitoring or the
software sending the game data via USB to by shift light gadget... but all to no avail. The issues were
still persisting. I even rebooted a number of times. Then I thought back what I had changed before this
started occuring - the latest Windows update. A quick google and voila...

Tried it and it seems to have fixed most issues. Apparently what Microsoft did with that update was to
re-enable the DVR feature of the XBOX app (that I don't even use! - my XBOX is not even connected
to my PC, nor does it know I have one). And even if you had it disabled previously, the updated turned
it back on again. <sigh>.

You can try and disable it from within the app or kill it via the registry (see above), which is what I did.

Now, one final piece is still missing. Since that blasted updated, my shift light gadget randomly stops
working. And when it does, the stuttering comes back. Since that shift light is connected to my rig via
USB, I assume that there is some other trickery going on.

Hello Microsoft, in case you are reading this (doubt it). F*** you very much for breaking a perfectly fine
Windows 10 install. Knowingly.

#2 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Some more stuff to try and get USB working properly again (which I need badly for my racing rig build):

http://www.drivethel...date-issue.html
http://www.drivethel...ors-update.html

Makes you wonder what kind of QA they run over there... Seems like the lot in my company... mwahahaha

#3 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

So it was back with a vengenance, same stutter, sound issue at the same time eventhough DVR was disabled. So I
uninstalled the update and saved all my stuff - just in case I need to go back to Win8.1pro again. Now I would love
to find out how to keep Windows (10) from updating itself without my consent.

#4 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

Latest updates killed my ability to play Grand Prix Legends.
Ftm I can only drive it properly with a 640 pixel screen setting :rolleyes:

That pretty much kept me away the last couple of months.
Well that and some sidetrack projects like building a 3D printer, 3D scanner and a started project on building a cnc router (using 3D printed parts)

Must have a look if i can get it working properly again when i can find the time..

Cheers,

Martin

#5 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

You need to change the internet connection to metered connection in the settings.
It's the only way to not let win10 update without your consent.

Done these tracks and working on others.

#6 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Yeah. Gobblygook that whole lot. I just did the "make Windows clean again" thing. Supposedly it sort of
resets Windows 10 to a pristine install. I guess it is. First thing I had to do was install chrome, download
Steam... and... hahahaha since my Steam library is on another drive, everything was still there. So I fired
Assetto up (some blabla installation) and it seemed to run ok aside from some very minor hickups every
now and then, which I assume is this dastardly DVR bs again (and yup, it is.). So I turn that off now and
see if that gets rid of this.
For once, the USB shift lights still work after an 8 lap race at Imola, which wasn't possible with the latest
update.

/edit thanks for the hint Ginetto!

3D printer, 3D scanner and a CNC router? Martin, what are you up to? Sounds way fascinating!!

Edited by sky, 29 April 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#7 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Honored Member

• 2,278 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

I have the latest updates installed on my Windows 10 64-bit and GPL still works fine. Sound and Pribluda is good.
I had just tested several mods as I tested the 60 FPS patches for my easy installation guide.
Strange.

#8 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:59 AM

Well for GPL it shouldn't really matter as it uses little to no resources anyway, but try any recent "heavy" title, like assetto, dirt,... It was less obvious in dirt, but still there. With AC it got so bad that I could not make the points where you have to turn in, etc.

W10pro 64bit, build 1703 I think. Now I'm back to a clean W10, which is nice. Good thing about the library on another drive is that the games still work with only a minor update / installation, not the full blown download.
But you have to actually reinstall addon tools, in my case SimHub, Aquasuite, Vlc and a few others, other than that you're good to go with a system that feels and actually is pristine - but all mods remain installed, too 😊

#9 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Honored Member

• 2,568 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

GPL still works ok after the latest update, though I am not sure it is the "creator´s update".

Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 OS build 15063.138 - 64bit version

Edited by Arturo Pereira, 01 May 2017 - 04:50 PM.

AP

#10 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

I'm going to rollback to Windows 8.1pro x64 now. I've had it with W10p. The stuttering returns, with audio dropouts
every now and then. I cannot have that in my system.

#11 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Honored Member

• 2,278 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

I haven`t been in front of my race PC much the last days/ week(s).
When I raced it was only GPL or DiRT Rally and once RaceRoom Racing Experience.
Those still work fine on my Windows 10.

I will test tonight if I have problems with Assetto Corsa.

#12 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

Honestly, I was getting tire of the crap. I really really liked W10pro 64b, but this stuttering got the better of
me. It annoyed me so much, that I reset it twice to a fresh W10 and now finally I have succumbed and did
the unspeakable, downgraded. Or rather, I formatted my C: drive, deleted all it's Windows related partitions
and reinstalled W8.1pro 64bit. At this time, I have just installed the latest Nvidia drivers, Chrome, got rid of
some of the bullsht apps and have joined the machine to my domain.
Next up my antivirus / firewall thingy (Eset smart security) and then Steam.

To describe how the issues showed themselves. I would pick a career race in Assetto (since I want to be
done with that), so it would have me race 10-13 AI depending on the series. Starting the race, all is cool.
But sometimes you get a short hiccup, like a missing frame, even then. Most of the time it is just frames
that seem to be missing and you get the next one or the one after that. Which is odd, since I have Steam
showing the FPS in the bottom right corner and even at the start I'm mostly north of 100 fps. Once the
race has settled it's usually 140-160fps, so there is no need to drop frames. I'm running with Vsync off
btw (input lag and all that), so I know the image might tear, but not freeze frame it.
Anyway, so I'm driving along and occasionally the image just stops for what feels like a few milliseconds,
but of course that's enough to throw you off track, especially when approaching a turn. So you start
turning not based on visual cues, but on memory... "once I see that it's, 1-1000, 2-1000, turn hard right"
(sounds like "The hunt for Red October" and turning submarines based on maps).

If it gets really bad, the sound joins in on the stuttering. When that happens, it's like the picture and the
sound are frozen for a bit (annoying noise!) and resume shortly afterwards. The totally weird thing is.
Once you have that happen in game, the audio of youtube videos will do the same... So it's fubared real
good.

Now since I'm back to W8.1, we'll see if the symptoms will prevail (same video driver version and all)...

Btw, I had those issues with Dirt Rally as well. Only there it wasn't as obvious as in Assetto. Pcars had it,
too. Thimbleweed Park didn't but then that's an adventure game with mostly static backgrounds anyway.

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

Sky, this sounds to me (not an expert on these things though) like an issue not related to Windows 10 vs. 8.  I run W 10 and don't have any stuttering problems with any game.

It sounds more lie a mismatched graphic driver (make sure it matches whether you have 32 or 64 bit) or else some program in the background interfering.

Edited by Bob Simpson, 09 May 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#14 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi Bob,

appreciate your input, but it has occured the first time with a, up to then, perfectly fine system. Graphics drivers
were not the latest, but working properly in every title I cared to run. Enter Creator's update. It seemed fine at
first and then it turned sour fast. I read up on it - DVR settings will be reset (if you had them changed, i.e. dis-
abled previously) on installing said update. So I changed them back to what they were before and it seemed to
fix the issue - for a time anyway. So since this, at the time, seemed to me mostly a graphics issue, I changed
the drivers to the latest Nvidia available for my cards. Didn't change so much. Nvidia is pretty good with their
driver download selection thingaling (not using geforce experience, but the website).
Anyway, then I noticed that the sound had issues at about the same time as the graphics - again, read up on
it. Obvious solution: update drivers. So I did. And that fixed the sound - again for a time. If that makes even
sense.
So I got fed up with it, reset Windows via the system control settings available for just that. I have to say that
is a very neat way to do it. I actually like it. However, it did not fix the problem for me for good, as the update
kept popping up and installing. The way I understand it is that you can at best postpone the installation by a
bit, but not completely disable it. So you're living on borrowed time, might as well get it over with. Did it again
and the problems were back. Did the update all drivers shuffle (even system specific chipset drivers) again,
with the same results. At first it seems ok, until you reboot once or twice...

So sod that. I've formatted the drive, removed all former partitions from it, and installed W8.1pro 64bit again.
I've updated that via all available updates to the latest, got the latest graphics driver, added some USB drivers
for the Arduino gang as well. And just did a 15 lap race in career mode without a single glitch or whatnot. FPS
were better, too.

That aside, please don't see this as patronizing, but I've been in the IT industry for a while, have been working
as a service desk agent for our companies own clients for some time, so I think I've got that covered. To me it
is pretty obvious the update is at fault. I'm not going to go anywhere near it in the near future. By the way, feel
free to read up on W10 creator's update, audio glitches or graphics stutter.
Supposedly that update does something to the core mechanics of Windows - as drivers (audio / video) should
remain the same. So if it was working ace previously and it doesn't afterwards... ;)

But I appreciate the input. Occasionally one misses the forest for the trees..

Reboot to follow .. we'll see where we are at then.
/edit still working.

Also at some point I thought it might be a heat related issue. Which also doesn't really make sense since all my
gear is watercooled (cpu, both gpus, chipset, some monitoring devices...) - temperatures all did check out just
fine and somewhat recently (2 or 3 months back) I extended the loop by adding a more radiator area (not quite
doubling it, but close - 6x -> 10x). Even throwing in an additional fan forcing cool air on RAM and other bits did
not do the trick. It also only had about a 3°C impact on those parts anyway, which is negligible

Edited by sky, 09 May 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#15 Cookie

Cookie

Honored Member

• 401 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

My windoze PC's still run W7, but I am heavily experimenting with linux systems and so far manjaro seems to be the best for me atm.

As a rolling update system it is allways up to date with all the security of linux.
Besides the basics it runs GPL as good as W7 and my TV-sat + DVB-T2 card work fine too.

The only downside left, is the 25% higher Watts consumption as the energy saving does not work as effective as W7...

#16 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

On my Linux box I'm running the latest Linux Mint, which also has an update routine running daily, but I have to
manually select which update to install. I haven't yet tinkered enough with it to find how to just update all the non
critical (i.e. non kernel) updates automatically without my input.
That aside I love that box, the control you have with Linux is really incredible. I'm running it as a recording server
which automatically creates thumbnails of the videos it captures every day at a certain time, a streaming server,
a webserver with multipe local websites, a mysql db server and since last weekend also as a Teamspeak 3 server
plus it's where I edited and tested the '55 F1 website.
On the energy saving.. since I run it as one one of several VMs, I have no real overview of the energy saving or
not. I only saw that the server it is running on, does not EVER lower it's CPU speed or sends the HDDs to sleep,
despite it being configured to do just that per Windows energy setting (server 2012). Those are the two topics I
still have to take care about with that one before I consider it complete.

That aside I was never unhappy with W10p, W8.1p or W7p... Only the basic W8 and I didn't really get on. And my
Macbook pro (which will turn 10 years in about 1 months! :O) is getting so slow I hardly ever use it for anything
other than playing music... It got progressively slower with every new OS update... but that's the apple way. Still,
10 years of service is pretty good :)

Oh wait. Windows Vista sucked!

#17 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Honored Member

• 2,278 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:48 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on 09 May 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

I will test tonight if I have problems with Assetto Corsa.

It didn`t get around to test yesterday evening. I will try to do so within the next days.

#18 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

While it may not hold true for DX12 titles, but most everything else seems faster (i.e. better frame rates)
and somewhat "smoother" using W8.1. So for me that's it, until I finally upgrade from my twin gtx670s to
something modern :).
I've just tested a race with 21 Brabhams, BRMS, Coopers, Ferraris, Hondas, Matras and McLaren vs.my
917KH #23 at the 1000km layout of Monza and it ran PEACHY (that is speaking of Assetto Corsa).

#19 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Honored Member

• 2,278 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

I have just tested with Assetto Corsa online with a full grid and all is fine.
I am using the latest Windows 10 version. There has been a new update tonight I had installed before.

#20 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Might be it is related to the Arduinos powering the displays / USB related. Well for now I will stay with W8.1. I am not
sure if I can go back to W10 now, since I used the free upgrade to go from 8.1p to 10p. I remember trying on another
machine with a valid key from 7p to 10p and that didn't work after the free upgrade period had passed. And that even
after people posted it is still possible (should be today!) to upgrade, using things like "I'm visually impaired and need
this and that tool"...
I'm fairly happy right now, so I don't mind too much. My cards are not DX12 compatible anyway, so no loss there
either, but thanks for checking, Stefan!

#21 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostCookie, on 09 May 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

My windoze PC's still run W7, but I am heavily experimenting with linux systems and so far manjaro seems to be the best for me atm.

As a rolling update system it is allways up to date with all the security of linux.
Besides the basics it runs GPL as good as W7 and my TV-sat + DVB-T2 card work fine too.

The only downside left, is the 25% higher Watts consumption as the energy saving does not work as effective as W7...
I still haven't fixed my issue with the W10 update :(
The linux stuff sounds as it might be an option for me.
Would it run on W10 with uhd screen (4k)?

Cheers,

Martin

#22 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Hey Martin,

how did your issues come about. Did GPL work before the update? Also is there a difference between running OGL or DX,
like one works with normal resolution and the other just offers 640x480?

As for the Linux option. I supposed you would run it in a VM? I'm running my Linux Mint in a Hyper-V (Microsoft) VM. On
every boot it pops a warning "mode not supported" but whatever. The Linux VM is limited in resolution supposedly, however,
you can bypass that by editing the settings manually - at the cost of that silly error message ;).
Since it already pops up at FHD resolution, 4k might be stretching it, but should in principle be possible.

/edit
Which 4k screen do you have? I had been thinking about getting a 28" sized one, maybe 34" or thereabouts.

Edited by sky, 15 May 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#23 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hi Roman,
It worked fine before the last 2 updates on both ogl & d3d.
Now it shifts down and doesn't resize the screen so you see just the top of the steeringwheel.
I also only have 3d settings in my nvidia settings, not what's shown here: http://srmz.net/inde...52
Must be a difference with desktop pc.

I use a laptop from asus.
A Zenbook pro with a geforce gtx960m videocard
Intel core i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz 16GB ram 64bits with ssd.
My screen has 3840x2160 resolution with 4k colors.

I had to switch to blender coss 3dsmax wasn't showing properly anymore aswell as photoshop.
But that was all solvable by using blender and gimp.
This isn't and it's driving me mad..

Attached Files

Cheers,

Martin

#24 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

For the moment i solved my problem using compatibility mode.
Switching of adjusting screen with high dpi setting shows a centered screen but it's compressed.
Not optimal but atleast i can see a proper car and work on it again :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Martin

#25 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Booting my work laptop an HP mobile workstation, NVidia powered, but I'm sure the scaling should be available on mobile
devices as well. Actually, it isn't there. W t h?
But, I found this "article" and ways how to get around what is going on. It might be the old your 'puter doesn't recognize
there is 3D going on because it's GPL... You may remember I have had neither of my cards wake up from desktop mode
when running GPL - and almost didn't notice, because it doesn't really require that much ooomph.

Anway, article... https://steamcommuni...06348057776162/
Supposedly Nvidia Optimus (something to fiddle around in the BIOS).