A total newbie problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eletricman

Eletricman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

Hello!!! Here is time to begin to work with objects here, but... how can I do this?
- I have not 3D Studio installed here on my computer ATM.
- 123do seems to be an object editor but I didn't find links to it.

What programs to use? How to do it? Hints and advices are hugely welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

#2 luna

luna

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:35 AM

123DO - http://www.cweom.de/onetwo3do/

:)

#3 Eletricman

Eletricman

• 124 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

new problems :unsure:

123DO seems to work fine (I just downloaded the file available on site) but I can not enable the icon to generate the 3do file. That's curious the program is not accepting my own textures (both 4 and 16 bits, generated in Photoshop, in case a stonewall texture). I tried with some from other tracks and it worked (randomly I chose a car texture, just to test), but anyway, I can't generate any 3do file, even if I fill all polygons with textures.

The idea is to create a "upper part" for a tunnel (see red box on attached image).
There are 4 points, I linked them in clockwise way, I tried until to generate the backface and nothing.

What I can do?

Attached Files

Edited by Eletricman, 01 November 2006 - 03:18 PM.

#4 luna

luna

Honored Member

• 189 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

I think you need to save your project first (as a .3dp file) before you can create the 3do.  :unsure: Not sure if this your problem though!!  :)

#5 Eletricman

Eletricman

• 124 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

maybe not, I picked these images above after loading the file :think:

I'm sending the file, probably a little messy, together with the texture I desire to apply.
(before someone think anything, it doesn't make sense try to copy or protect by authoral rights a simple rectangle, no? The image was picked from a freeware site :thumbup: )

Attached Files

#6 luna

luna

Honored Member

• 189 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:38 AM

To create the 3do use the file menu > write ASE file > write ASE and convert to 3do.  :)

The 'create 3do' button doesn't work :rolleyes:

#7 Eletricman

Eletricman

• 124 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:31 PM

"the 'create 3do' button work"
until makes sense now...

I tried it too, Luna, and the 123do said the path of file or applications was invalid because there were spaces. OK, moved the install from "D:\Arquivos de Programas\OneTwo3do" to "D:\Jogos\OneTwo3do" and worked. The program is not a barrier to me anymore. Until the textures are good. :)
Time to try more complex objects.

Attached Files

#8 Eletricman

Eletricman

• 124 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:16 AM

I keep in progress, but now, another problem, I think I'm doing something wrong....

objects put on left are OK, no problems, objects on right are clipping with the track (still about my tunnel, it will be iluminated by torches in both sides, left side OK, right side clipping)

at TSO file is as follows the entrances:
[ 19]: 3, 4437.504, 6, 3.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, torch
[ 20]: 3, 4437.504, -6, 3.0, 180.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, torch

could someone confirm how to put an object on right side of track? It seems that negative values of lateral position is not very well accepted by GPL, no?

#9 luna

luna

Honored Member

• 189 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

There's no problem with negative values per se. Clipping can be caused by all sorts of things and I'd need to know more about the kind of clipping you're getting and also the nature of the track build.  From looking at your TSO it may be that you haven't accounted for the width of the 3do - remember that the position of the 3do is determined by the zero point (x0, y0, z0) of the object; this is often vertex 0 of the 3do (but not always). The attached diagram shows what I mean (sort of!  :P ) If the object is e.g 1m wide then you'd need to position it  -5m from the centreline, otherwise the object will cross the wall and this will cause clipping. Note this is just an example and your object may be nothing like this and the zero point may be different but the principal is the same.

...erm, unless its a SRB, which need to be handled differently... :rolleyes:

BTW sorry if this is all obviously to you!!  :) If this isn't your problem post a screenshot of the clipping.

Attached Files

#10 Eletricman

Eletricman

• 124 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

that's what I did, with exception I rotated it in 180º, to face it to the track side.
these series of objects are torches I am using to my tunnel lighting (worthy to say it is in a sightly left turn).

Problem 1: on far view, objects disappeared.

Attempt 2: rotate 180º on the own 3do file and use one for each side.
Problem 2: things kept unchanged :blink:

Attempt 3: try -5 on placing the torches.
Problem 3: they are flying in the tunnel now. :think: using 5.something the last torch only was clipped with the wall.

Attemp 4: change the 3do again, the X range was 0 to +1.5, and it was moved to -1.5 to 0.
Problem 4: none :) bug fixed. Only some very slightly details to leave the tunnel definitelly concluded.

Hope my track is not very light inside it in LCD monitors :wave:
Sooner my next doubt :P

Attached Files

• Attached File  GPL1.jpg   61.92K   85 downloads