• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

A couple of beginner questions:

1) All the track.ini files I've looked at so far have a grid row spacing of 10m, based on photographs of my track I'd estimated about 8m. Would this cause problems for the AI, or for human players starting closer together?

2) When my 3DO is compiled I get a stripe across the startline plus lines for each grid stall which are polygons in the 3DO file and have my error.mip texture applied, is it possible to lose these? I've noticed some other tracks don't seem to have these, have they been made invisible with a type 5 mip, used a matching texture to the asphalt, or maybe the polygons deleted from the 3DO at the end of the build?

3) At the moment my grid and startline are level and have textures applied using Unk 4 = 2 mapping. Will adding a slight slope mess up the mapping? I think read somewhere that type 2 mapping has problems near a trace with altitudes. Also will a slight backward slope cause problems at the start, I know I have to keep a foot on the brake at Spa but that's quite a steep incline.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Fat Rich, 28 October 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#2 Phil

Phil

Retired

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

1.  Crashes are more likely with 8m but it's still sensible IMO.

2.  Start line and grid boxes need these entries in your .tex file:

4001 0 0 10.0 10.0 sfline
4002 0 0 10.0 10.0 sgrid

Small transparent mips with those names can hide the polys.

If/when you add a groove you'll need this entry:

4003 0 0 10.0 10.0 groove  

3.  Mapping will be fine.  Unk4 = 2 stops the wall from splitting at traces, so can cause ugliness if you have camber variations and your wall is not housed neatly between 2 traces.  A longitudinal gradient should be OK, but if not use Unk4 = 512 which gives the same mapping whilst spliting the wall at traces.
Slight gradient at the race start should be fine.

#3 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Great, many thanks for the speedy response!

Edited by Fat Rich, 28 October 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Phil

Phil

Retired

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

I should've said Rich, if you're hiding the start line as well as the boxes use the same texture for efficiency, e.g.

4001 0 0 10.0 10.0 trans
4002 0 0 10.0 10.0 trans

Of course you could just make error.mip transparent but it's best to use a garish one to show other missing textures :)

#5 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

Will do!

Thanks again.