Track widths

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eletricman

Eletricman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

Hi there, nowadays I'm developing Pescara with norx help, and at the final part of track layout development, there´s a doubt, narrower sections can cause problems on driveability, related with AI files. OK, but Pescara have some narrow sections, with driveable surface is at most 7 meters wide.

10 meters wide is very usual, so, in general, about how much could I narrow the track without going beyond the limits of good sense? It´s worth to say some of these sections also have buildings very near to tarmac.

who could give us an idea?

#2 dangermouse

dangermouse

the mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:GPL, P&G, computing, music, hi-fi

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

I can tell you that Dundrod is 7 mtrs wide (I was in the testing team). This was chosen as as still being able to pass but keeping it to the realistic width of the road. Targa will be mostly 8 mtrs wide. To tell the truth, with a track this long I don't see it a problem going to 7 mtrs in some town sections. As far as causing problems with the AI I don't know about track building so I can't comment there but the AI in Dundrod are pretty good.

To look at differences in track width and reality issues have a look at these 2 tracks HERE. You will find that Strava's track is IIRC 12 mtrs wide and does not feel as realistic. It may, in your opinion, race better but you have to think what you want as far as realism is concerned specially on a track this long do you think you will have much if any online racing? I would have thought not... (I do much prefer Glen Leugner's Westwood)

Both Jim Pearson and Strava are very approachable and will give you their opinions if you want to ask them, so don't worry about approaching them for questions. You could also ask Sergio Loro who is making Targa.

:wave:
keith s-g

Visit the:
Posted Image

#3 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

You can go as narrow as 7 metres or less with relative ease.

AI have problems where there isn't space for off course adventures, ie. where barriers or buildings sit right on the track's edge, especially on the inside of corners, and on corner exits.  For those areas with buildings in those places it will never really be possible to get the AI to take a realistic line, and you may well get lots of AI crashing out.
Now they've made Dunlop Bridge much faster this year, and in doing so they have made it safer. Not so acute as it was, it can be taken, very nearly flat out - Mike Hawthorn, Le Mans 1956

#4 Fed75

Fed75

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:56 AM

Hi all!  :wave: The track is very narrow in some places plus there are buildings delimitating its width. We can't go over 7mt without losing completely the "realistic feeling". Seems there are not so many chances for AI..

#5 Richard Cooke

Richard Cooke

Honored Member

• 6,321 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

Targa Florio is mostly 6.2m wide tarmac with about 0.7m dirt on each side.

Richard

#6 dangermouse

dangermouse

the mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:GPL, P&G, computing, music, hi-fi

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:06 AM

View PostRichard Cooke, on Aug 26 2006, 03:38 AM, said:

Richard
Oops!! That's what I get for not keeping up to date.....   :blink:

keith s-g

Visit the:
Posted Image

#7 Richard Cooke

Richard Cooke

Honored Member

• 6,321 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:36 PM

View Postdangermouse, on Aug 26 2006, 02:06 AM, said:

View PostRichard Cooke, on Aug 26 2006, 03:38 AM, said:

Richard
Oops!! That's what I get for not keeping up to date.....   :blink:

But we havent made any attempt to get the AI working so who knows if they will like it  :)

Richard

#8 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

I think you should go with the real with of the track; since norx 75 is from Pescara he can take the real size of the road in the hills and in town and copy that. From what I've seen from your pics, they don't seem to be too narrow to avoid the AI to pass...
Then if in a few places the road gets narrower you just do it; then creating the max min lp files you will give an area to the AI to move into, they will just not pass in the narrower places...
:) Ciao!

Edited by Ginetto, 27 August 2006 - 07:03 AM.

Done these tracks and working on others.