• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:11 AM

Well I feel good right now, if a bit stuffed post christmas feeding frenzy ;).
I also checked if I had the files that were missing after that date, but for whatever reason I do not have them - or if I do, they are sorted in another directory. But I'm thinking I might have been travelling at the time and thus did not download them then. I always add the date to the files, so I know when a later version has been "released" to possibly replace them.
Those files here probably got lost in one of the DB crashes we had over the years.

That aside, I'm actually preparing another tutorial on car skin creation as per the example of the Gordini T16, since I just found a number of steps I did for it. Just as a pointer of how I do it. Might check if I have other cars that I could use to illustrate my process. Same for dashboards - if that is of any help to anyone...

#27 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:26 AM

View Postginetto, on 30 December 2020 - 06:09 AM, said:

The BMP can be converted in winmip; at least the ones that I can download.
Also for you many posts don't have any zip files? :unsure:

If you have issues in Winmip loading BMP, you should load the BMP in IrfanView first and save it to BMP again. After that the new BMP will load fine in Winmip.
Sometimes the BMP saved in Photoshop result in a Cannot Load problem in WinMip.

Yes, many of them above don't have attachments anymore.

Anyway, the BMP I opened "slope8" opens in Winmip, but I cannot seem to save it as MIP. Also when I try to use the batch conversion function, it says it cannot convert. I wondered if there was an issue with the type of BMP or maybe I have an old Winmip. The one in the sticky also has two dead links.

#28 Db312

Db312

Not so new member

• 2,107 posts
  • Location:Switzerland at the bottom of the corner to the left
  • Interests:Music, music and music ! And a little bit GPL, but only very few

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:31 AM

View Postsky, on 30 December 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

...if that is of any help to anyone...

Thanks for the answer Roman, and yes your tutorial on car skin creation would be more than appreciated on my part ! Posted Image
Eternity is very long, especially at the end
- Woody Allen

#29 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,429 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:49 AM

Re: Bitmaps. From the dark dark cobwebs of ancient times, according to my memory there are two (or three) types of bitmaps. 8bit and 24 (or 32bit). 8bit are palette-based files using 256 colours, 24bit use 256 shades (00-FF) for each of the 3 (or 4 if alpha is included -> 32bit) colours.I believe winmip has issues with certain types of bitmap (24/32 bit?). If anything I used papybmp for most of my conversions.

#30 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 11,913 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:42 AM

View PostPTRACER, on 30 December 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

Anyway, the BMP I opened "slope8" opens in Winmip, but I cannot seem to save it as MIP. Also when I try to use the batch conversion function, it says it cannot convert. I wondered if there was an issue with the type of BMP or maybe I have an old Winmip. The one in the sticky also has two dead links.
I tried the same file and WinMip2 here can convert it to MIP no problem.

Get this WinMip, is the one I have installed. The 2 MS... files need to go in Windows System or SYSwow64 if you don't have them already.

Attached Files

Done these tracks and working on others.

#31 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:32 PM

View Postginetto, on 30 December 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostPTRACER, on 30 December 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

I tried the same file and WinMip2 here can convert it to MIP no problem.

Get this WinMip, is the one I have installed. The 2 MS... files need to go in Windows System or SYSwow64 if you don't have them already.

Thanks! Looks like I only had an older version.