Switching or moving dash needles to a different location

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:36 PM

I would like to swap the position of the Lotus 49 voltmeter with the fuel pressure gauge, since they are the other way around on the real car. Is there a guide for doing this?

#2 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:57 AM

I wrote a tutorial here:

How Replace The Tachometer Needle - GPL Request Area - SimRacing Mirror Zone (srmz.net)

The pictures to illustrate the text are gone though... Let me know if you need any help.

Tommie.

#3 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Tommie, helpful, albeit a little above my head :blush: But that was the post I was looking for, so thanks!

Since my post, I managed to switch the position of the ammeter and fuel pressure needles, so this is where I am at right now (excuse the basic looking gauges for now, I still need to add some reflections).

The three things I would like to do now:

1. How can I lengthen the voltmeter needle so it reaches the hole at the bottom?
2. Can I make my needle 'skinnier'?
3. Can I change the rotation angle? (It doesn't seem to be determined by the physics)

The file I am editing is c10.3do btw.

Posted Image

#4 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:45 AM

To change the needle shape you need to change the vertices positions of the needle polygon in GPL editor.
First you need to check if the same vertices are used for some other needle and if is the case, you need to add new vertices to the 3DO and use them as reference to the polygon you want to make skinnier and longer.
You just check all the sections for the needles in the 3DO and there you can see the vertices used for every one of them. :)

Done these tracks and working on others.

#5 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Ginetto :) The polygons for poilt, poilp and pfuel show the values below. Does that mean I need to add additional vertices?

Posted Image

Edited by PTRACER, 17 May 2021 - 05:28 AM.

#6 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:20 AM

If you want different dimensions for one of the 3 needles, yes, you need to add 4 new vertices and assign the new vertices to the polygon you want to change  and leave the other 2 the same (you can still change those vertices so the needle change also for those).
In that particular case Y is the length ( from 3.5 to 20 mm.) and Z is the thickness (2mm. from start to finish)

#7 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:51 AM

That's useful, thanks! I will give it a try at the weekend and reach out if I have any difficulties.

#8 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,381 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

Please note that the vertices which make up the polygon need to be in anti-clockwise order. The vertex order determines whether the side of the polygon you look at is 'up' or 'down'. If your polygon faces the other way it might not get drawn :) .

Tommie.

#9 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

View PostTvO, on 18 May 2021 - 08:26 AM, said:

Please note that the vertices which make up the polygon need to be in anti-clockwise order. The vertex order determines whether the side of the polygon you look at is 'up' or 'down'. If your polygon faces the other way it might not get drawn :) .

Tommie.

Likewise with polys mapped on track objects in 123DO

#10 PTRACER

PTRACER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:29 AM

Tommie and Ginetto, thanks a lot for your help :grumpy: I have retextured the entire dash, replaced most of the gauges with the correct ones, added the new voltmeter needle and re-aligned all the others. Hopefully it is a slight improvement.

The last thing I would like to do is to add a second polygon below the voltmeter's mounting point. However, GPLEd won't allow me to add any additional nodes to the ptach. What do I need to do here?

Posted Image

Edited by PTRACER, 28 October 2021 - 02:55 AM.

#11 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 12:11 PM

Hmm :think:
If I understood correctly, you need to do that in GPL track editor.
I mean add vertices and  (carefully) nodes.

Just keep backups of every modifications you do because things might not work in GPL after a change. ;)