trk23dow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rcr286

rcr286

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:36 PM

I am new to this as well and am very excited about creating some of my long-time dream tracks. :thumbup:  Unfortunately, I am having the most basic problem with 'trk23do.exe'.

When I run it in the DOS window (within XP), it starts by checking the track (0 errors found), then plays out and an error message comes up "mytrack.SHW not found". :huh:  I have not seen any reference to this file anywhere, but it seems to be holding up my conversion from .GTK to .3DO. In Notebook, I created a file called "mytrack.shw", and tried trk23dow again and it seemed it would run infinately (the only data changing was [###] at the beginning of the instruction line. I have now done the tutorial word-for-work about 3 times now to no avail.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a quick fix?

I have layed out 3 tracks now and can't wait to at least try them. I have included elevations in 2 of the 3, but have not felt confident moving forward with them until I can get the freakin tutorial to work!

Thank you,

RCR

#2 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:00 AM

Are you definitely using trk23dow?

You do not need the shw file.

The files you need are:
trackname.gtk
trackname.fb
trackname.set
trackname.tso
trackname.tex
trackname.ini (Not track.ini.  Make a copy of your track.ini and call it kyalami.ini or whatever your track is called)
trackname.trk (exported from gpltrk)
trackname.cam (borrow from another track for the time being)

Also, check your extentions.  They should be simply '.ini', '.set' etc, not '.ini.txt', '.set.txt' etc.

Edited by pirenzo, 15 June 2005 - 04:01 AM.

Now they've made Dunlop Bridge much faster this year, and in doing so they have made it safer. Not so acute as it was, it can be taken, very nearly flat out - Mike Hawthorn, Le Mans 1956

#3 rcr286

rcr286

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:00 PM

pirenzo, on Jun 15 2005, 03:02 AM, said:

Are you definitely using trk23dow?

You do not need the shw file.

The files you need are:
trackname.gtk
trackname.fb
trackname.set
trackname.tso
trackname.tex
trackname.ini (Not track.ini.  Make a copy of your track.ini and call it kyalami.ini or whatever your track is called)
trackname.trk (exported from gpltrk)
trackname.cam (borrow from another track for the time being)

Also, check your extentions.  They should be simply '.ini', '.set' etc, not '.ini.txt', '.set.txt' etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much for the quick response Pirenzo!

I am cool with all of the above. I wonder if it has something to do with my system. Depending on whether I am using my Administrator Login, I get both a Windows error report titled "trk23dow.exe" that states "trk23dow.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." and the track.shw error in "DOS", and f I am using my normal user Login, I only get the Windows error report.

I have downloaded trk23dow several times to make sure that the file and install was not corrupt, but it does not seem to make a difference. I have checked my .gtk file in trk23dof also and it checks out just fine. I have several 'spyware' programs running in the background (spybot s&d and spyware blaster) as well as Norton AntiVirus, but I don't think that these would be an issue.(?) Could there be a problem running these programs on Windows XP?

If there is anything I have not covered or might not have considered, please let me know.

Thanks,

RCR

#4 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:08 PM

Its a real annoying program to get working.  I couldn't get it to work for a long time (on XP, I used to get the same errors)

Can you upload your .set, .fb, .tex, .tso and .ini files (NOT .gtk or .trk)?
I'll take a look and see if I can spot anything that's awry.
Now they've made Dunlop Bridge much faster this year, and in doing so they have made it safer. Not so acute as it was, it can be taken, very nearly flat out - Mike Hawthorn, Le Mans 1956

#5 rcr286

rcr286

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

Attached File  simple.zip   196bytes   43 downloads>Can you upload your .set, .fb, .tex, .tso and .ini files (NOT .gtk or .trk)?
>I'll take a look and see if I can spot anything that's awry.

I finally got 'mytrack' from the tutorial to work...but I am not sure how. I usuallt take notes on projects like this so I know what works and what does not. I think that it had to do with some of my blank files still had the single line that I put in there at the beginning of the tutorial and trk23dow would not write over them. :?:  Again, not quite sure exactly what it was.

Now I am working on "simple", a track that is a bit longer than 'mytrack' at 3055m and has about 7 turns. I have also created a file based on this layout with some altitudes as well, but first things first. I will upload the files from the flat 'simple' for you to take a look at. I originally copied the 'mytrack' .fb file, but found that each line represents about 39m of track, so I simply copied and pasted the lines to create enough to cover the track. I am not sure if this is appropriate or not (I realize that it will not be optimal at hairpins, etc.). Also, with the .ini file I copied the .ini from 'mytrack' that worked and changed the trackname to 'simple', changed the track length to 'simple's tracklength in Miles, and changed the starting grid location so that the locations actually existed. (from first row @ 3150m on a 3055m track, to first row @ 3054m). Again, I don't know if this is appropriate, but after trying many other formats, I thought that at least getting the specs more correct would eventually work in my favor.  

Thank you for your time. :thumbup:

RCR

#6 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

Hmm, well there was only the .tso in there, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it.  I did take a space from 0InfieldObject though.
You can make those adjustments easily enough yourself though.

I can't think what makes it work with the mytrack and not yours, but it was the same for me.

For me it was not having the 'simple.ini' present.

Just double check that you have in your folder:

simple.gtk
simple.trk
simple.tso
simple.tex
simple.grv (I forgot that one earlier - it can just say 'simple.grv' or something in the file itself)
simple.fb
simple.set
simple.ini

Also make sure that you are running trk23dow from the same directory as the files you are trying to compile.

#7 rcr286

rcr286

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

Attached File  simple_files.zip   2.44K   28 downloadsI am sure that it all comes down to "user error" as proven by my lack of double-checking the .zip file. I think this one should work better.

As for everything else, they are all there.

#8 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

You were missing simple.grv

I've made a slight correction to the .tso as well
(spaces after commas and 'Set List' in the second line)

This does compile, but it loops in the objects section - but the tso format is fine so it must be the fact I'm using the wrong .gtk (more than likely because it should be listed as an outfield object for the .gtk I was using)

For your track it will work fine though.

Attached Files