6 replies to this topic

#1 Luis Babboni

Luis Babboni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

Trying to recreate the depresion for the water at the right:
Posted Image

I thought that use a negative height wall can be a good idea.
But after several attemps with unk4 values, I cant make that the side walls appears :-(
Posted Image

I tried too, without succesfull, with unk4 = 262144 thats saids is about ceiling, but I need side walls, not ceiling.

If I change the altitud toa  positive one, inmediatly the side walls appears, both, the inner and the outside side wall, but just as I give it a negative height, both sides of the sidewall dissapear.

Any hint different that not use negative heights? :-)

#2 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I think that you will need to make the drain have height = 0, the same as the track and then make the walls on each side of it, i.e. the pavement and the grass bank have a positive height. The problem with that will be that if you clip the pavement with the car then the collision might not be very nice. The only other way to do it is to use traces to make the drain. In this way the sides will slope slightly, but they can be negative in overall height, i.e. below the track surface.

Rob

#3 Luis Babboni

Luis Babboni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on 28 April 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

I think that you will need to make the drain have height = 0, the same as the track and then make the walls on each side of it, i.e. the pavement and the grass bank have a positive height. The problem with that will be that if you clip the pavement with the car then the collision might not be very nice. The only other way to do it is to use traces to make the drain. In this way the sides will slope slightly, but they can be negative in overall height, i.e. below the track surface.

Rob

Thanks Border! Yes, what you said is another option and the solution to avoid weird bumps is to use differents tracks for gtk and trk. But using negative height wall would be a solution to more accurate fit between those differents tracks for gtk and trk, and thats was why I tried it.

My first attempt was using traces but the result was not as nice:
Posted Image
and in the following sections the traces are not where I need it.
Plus it, after my idea of use negative height walls appears, I can imagine a lot of other places whaere I can use it for my fully altitud changes track.... but I need to see the side of those walls! :-)

But again, sorry, do you know if what I tried to do, see sidewalls of negative height walls is imposible or is just cause I do not know how to do it?

Edited by Luis Babboni, 28 April 2011 - 10:20 AM.

#4 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

I think is impossible to show the sides :)
Because is actually the inside of the wall with positive height; no polys are created for that.
If you check in 3dosimed, going under the road, you'll see that the outside of those transparent walls is right there ;)

Edited by Ginetto, 28 April 2011 - 11:08 AM.

Done these tracks and working on others.

#5 Luis Babboni

Luis Babboni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

View PostGinetto, on 28 April 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

I think is impossible to show the sides :)
Because is actually the inside of the wall with positive height; no polys are created for that.
If you check in 3dosimed, going under the road, you'll see that the outside of those transparent walls is right there ;)

Not, the negative height wall have not sides at all.
The inside must be appears where I draw the green one and the outside where I draw the red one, but none of them appears. :-(
Posted Image

Well, I need to use other idea :-)
May be a 3do object that be the side of this?

Thanks again to both.

BTW, the inside of positive heights walls, at least in the 3dsimed, are ables to see:
Posted Image

Edited by Luis Babboni, 28 April 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#6 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

I see, thanks; it doesn't create polys at all.  :)
You need to click on culling back face under display, otherwise 3dosimed shows always a poly  from both sides.

Edited by Ginetto, 28 April 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Done these tracks and working on others.

#7 Luis Babboni

Luis Babboni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostGinetto, on 28 April 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

I see, thanks; it doesn't create polys at all.  :)
You need to click on culling back face under display, otherwise 3dosimed shows always a poly  from both sides.

Wow! Nice feature this "culling back face!
Thanks.