4 replies to this topic

#1 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

hi,

is there any way to save a 24bit .bmp plus an 8bit _ti.bmp as a .mip with 32bits?

papybmp.exe just won't let me do it. i can have red/green/blue and alpha all set to 8bits, yet it still saves the image as a 16bit (4/4/4/4). or if i do just a regular 24bit .bmp and try to save it as opaque, no transparency, with 8/8/8/0 selected it still does a 5/6/5 (16bit) picture. this is driving me up the wall, as neither of these tools, papybmp or winmip, seem to do dithering or pattern mode to get gradients.

i think i read somewhere, maybe even here ;), that someone mentioned with the new v2 rasterizers gpl can do 32bit mips. now i wonder if gpl can indeed load and handle them how the heck am i supposed to save them or how would anyone even know this works, if there's no (working) method to actually save them as such

16bit + 8bit would work for me, too. but that is also impossible it would seem. at least saving is not an option in neither programm.

how do you guys get smooth gradients in textures that also include alpha channels with more than 4 values? paintshop? photoshop can reduce colours nicely down to 8bit total, but winmip won't load those bmps, so it's back to saving it as a 24bit .bmp (using only 256, aka 8bit colours). and on saving it as a .mip from winmip i get colourbanding. again!  :mad:

#2 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:30 AM

With the latest papybmp by Nigel you can save 32bits mips
then you can use them in GPL using His Rasterizers checking the 32bits options you find in the renderer setup window in GEM+
He did it on my request while working on SportsCar textures, only down is that the size of the type7 mip is double than type5 mip.
Find it HERE
Posted Image

Done these tracks and working on others.

#3 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,158 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:57 AM

hi ginetto,
i saw your post at the srmz, downloaded it, tried it and LOVE IT :dribble:

seriously, with this, we can make gpl look so much better. i mean really better. beautiful tress with proper alpha channels, smooth gradients instead of colour bands. i updated my chap2d skin, loaded it, immediately went to F10 view, drove around a bit and then was stunned during the replay!

i had been using a version of papybmp that looks exactly the same, is, according to it's timestamp newer (!) ;) than the one you uploaded. but this one works. on saving my mip i saw it show up in the list as 8-8-8-8 and i was a bit skeptical, but after seeing the texture in game...
the only downside with this is that you cannot load them into winmip anymore. but i guess you can do the tile/stretch thing via the buttons in papybmp, too

type 0 = horiz & vert repeat unchecked
type 1 = horiz repeat checked, vert repeat unchecked
type 2 = horiz repeat unchecked, vert repeat checked
type 3 = horiz & vert repeat checked

now the only thing i am worried / wondering about, besides the filesize which i only noticed after you mentioned it ;), is what will happen if we use these 32b mips and someone not using the v2 raterizers tries playing with those textures? will he be able to see them?
take kenny for instance. he's working his butt off trying to get the tracks to run properly on his vodoo.

never mind, i just unchecked the 32bit button and tried again - you can see them! they're just dithered somewhat and sometimes have a few slightly off colours, but still look considerably better than by trying my old reduce to 256 colours routine.

absolutely magnificent! thank you ginetto and thank you nigel!! i wonder why this was never made front line news. it's the bomb! :D

#4 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Because it was made for us working for the SC MOD, and it needed to be tested; then Nigel never show up again and got lost in an old thread.

Several people were not agree to put type 7 mip in the since with original rasterizers probably GPL don't load.
The risk is that lots of people start having problems with CTDs without understanding the reason why.
You should try the original rasterizers  and see if is true.

If so it need to be stated very well in the readme that is mandatory to use the V2 rasterizers with the update.

Anyway, my brother did all the 40 different textures for the MKI  using type 7 and they really are stunning, too bad the DAT will have type 5 reduced in size.
Posted Image

EDIT: forgot to say that latest RaceCon can open type 7 files (not edit, only open to view them); I use it as the default viewer for mip pbf and srb in explorer :)

Edited by Ginetto, 01 May 2010 - 12:32 PM.

Done these tracks and working on others.

#5 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,158 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

bad news. i just tried. 32bit mip (chaparral 2D):
loading with the original ogl rasterizer -> CTD
loading with the original d3d rasterizer -> loaded fine, just showing the old texture from inside the dat

so if we're going to go 32bit, the v2 rasterizers are mandatory. but then again, they increase performance anyway, so why somebody wouldn't use them is beyond me. of course those that use rendition cards, may have to use something else. i don't know what the vodoo actually uses.
i mean we could package the cars with the reduced lowres 16bit type textures in the .dat and then offer a 32bit hires add-on where we can use the shiny new toys we have - v2 rasterizers only. i think that would be easy to do. already tell them before downloading that these addons ONLY work with v2. that may minimize the outcry ;)

where can i get those mk1 skins? i didn't see them in the gt40 mk1 thread :blink: i've only got an 8mb zip mk1gt40 which unpacks to a ~60meg mk1gt40.dat that ws in the thread.

still the possibilities these new mip options offer! incredible