How to save images as 4-bit from Photoshop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:20 PM

Hi there, everyone!

Just a simple question... I hope. I am trying to colorize one of the new Jackseller driver suits to use in the GPL65 mod. The part that I'm having difficulty with is the driver arms files. These are originally 4-bit mip files. I use WinMip to convert them to bmp and then load into Photoshop. I do my colorizing and then I want to save them back as 4-bit bmp. Photoshop only saves them as 16-bit.

Any suggestions? Maybe my methods are not correct.... ?

Thanks, in advance.
Greg

... What's who's name?

#2 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:55 AM

I've never used photoshop, but look for something like color mode: indexed (as opposed to grey scale or RGB).  If you find something like that it'll probably ask you for the number of colours you want to save, choose 16, that's 4bit.
It won't be in the save menu, you have to convert to 4-bit and then save.

Edited by pirenzo, 14 November 2004 - 06:56 AM.

Now they've made Dunlop Bridge much faster this year, and in doing so they have made it safer. Not so acute as it was, it can be taken, very nearly flat out - Mike Hawthorn, Le Mans 1956

#3 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:11 PM

pirenzo, on Nov 14 2004, 07:55 AM, said:

I've never used photoshop, but look for something like color mode: indexed (as opposed to grey scale or RGB).  If you find something like that it'll probably ask you for the number of colours you want to save, choose 16, that's 4bit.
It won't be in the save menu, you have to convert to 4-bit and then save.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the tip, pirenzo.  I found recently that Photoshop will not do what I want, which is to convert a BMP down to 4-bit color.  However, Jim Pearson pointed me to the viewer / conversion program called irfanview (which coincidently, dangermouse is talking about in this forum.

This program allows you to load a 16-bit BMP and then convert and save it as 4-bit.  From there I can run it through WinMip and get a 4-bit MIP file.

Thanks again for answering!

Greg
Greg

... What's who's name?

#4 Wolf_HR

Wolf_HR

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:38 AM

Greg, actually one can convert image to 4-bits with Photoshop (Image>Mode>Indexed, then choose Adaptive & 4bits/pixel), but won't save it as such in BMP format (only 8 bits)...