Royale

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts
  • Interests:Vroom vroom

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

Jenks on...

How our Grand Prix Correspondent  answered the eternal question

“At almost every race meeting I go to people ask one particular question, and that is ‘Who is the world’s best driver today, Moss or Fangio?’ I have numerous stock answers to this query and among them are ‘probably some unknown van driver in Patagonia has the combination of reflexes and judgment that would beat all the reigning champions  given the chance.’ Another is that ‘Hawthorn must not be overlooked, because he has won two major grand prix events, both in open battle and each was a decisive victory,’ but eventually the questioners boil things down to the difference between Fangio and Moss.
From the English driver’s own words, Fangio is the best – in my own words, I add, but for how long I would not like to say. Taking this season’s races, on almost every grand prix circuit there has been a corner that Fangio could take faster than Moss, using identical cars, or both using the same car.
An example of this very slight difference between the two is the tunnel at Monte Carlo, where you enter into complete darkness and only see the light of the exit after you are fully in the tunnel. Even using the same car in practice Fangio could go through the tunnel without lifting, while Moss admitted freely that try as he might he always eased the throttle a fraction as he entered the tunnel.
Another place on the same circuit was the hairpin at the Gasworks, where I timed a whole collection of drivers in practice from a mark on the approach to another on the exit of the hairpin. The time was just over seven seconds and every lap Fangio was one or two-fifths faster than Moss. The main reason for doing this timing was a private arrangement with Moss to find out whether he could take the hairpin quicker in second or third gear. No matter what Moss did Fangio was always  faster through the corner.
Taking the opposite extreme, I did a similar thing in practice for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa. On this occasion I timed everyone round the long high-speed curve at Stavelot, a distance occupying some 15 seconds at a speed of around 100mph. Again, Fangio was a consistent half-second faster than Moss. These few vital fifths of seconds, or even tenths, all add up in a race and, added to Fangio’s superior track-craft through having more experience of open grand prix battles, I would rate him Number 1. As I said earlier, for how much longer is another matter.”

September 1955

#2 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,741 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

:cool: thank you!

Done these tracks and working on others.

#3 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Always interesting to see how they tried to keep on improving, even back then. Reminds me of Schumacher's speed dials at Benetton, which is something I used to do with the mph display myself.

Jenks always seems to be on the mark, as it's fair to say that Moss would soon be faster than Fangio in 1956, but was not faster than him in 1955.
GPLrank: -76;  Monster: -402

"Slide 'til the sunrise, -90 in your eyes.."

'Spinning out since Summer 2006'

#4 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:44 AM

Very interesting... thanks for posting. B)