Straight wall within a curved section?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Danman

Danman

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Hi there, I am returning to GPL track making and I was wondering if any clever folks know of a way to have straight walls within a curved section. I am trying to have a straight pitlane running beside a curved track. It is possible in NR2003 track making but I am assuming not possible in GPL?
I guess my other option is to cheat with textures. I am working on a couple of real world tracks that both have this curved track-straight pitlane approach.

Thanks
Daniel

#2 pirenzo

pirenzo

Where's this go again?

• Staff Crew
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:38 AM

Not only that but you'll have trouble positioning the cars in the pitlane, as they will line up parallel to the road, not the pitlane.

Is your track banked or I'd suggest actually making that section a straight, and modifying the walls to make the bit of actual racetrack from short straight sections like in the screenshot below.
Attached File  possible.gif   8.66K   23 downloads
That will NOT work if the track is banked though.
Now they've made Dunlop Bridge much faster this year, and in doing so they have made it safer. Not so acute as it was, it can be taken, very nearly flat out - Mike Hawthorn, Le Mans 1956

#3 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

I did wrote a simple excel page where inserting the vertices values you get the new values and make it straight b ut I don't know if you can be interested, is acting on the 3do, not the trk file... :huh:

Here you can see while I'm doing a sraight out from a curved section, is uphill and cambered and the result is ok even if you drive on it it doesn't do any weird thing
Attached File  pic003.jpg   76.9K   58 downloads
this is the page that, as i said is nothing particular, just easier then keep the calculator, you have to paste and copy the values of the vertices you wanna move manually, well I do have to.... :P mine are not too many though B)

Ciao

Attached Files

Done these tracks and working on others.