59 replies to this topic

#26 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

You can make the walls in GTK invisible using UNK4=131072 for those section part that you need them to be different.
Then you make a 3do in 123do that covers that area in the shape that you want
This is an example of what I am talking about

Attached Files

Done these tracks and working on others.

#27 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

thanks Ginetto,
so basically I can leave adding the adjoining roads until I get to the (complicated looking) 3do part of the project & keep the corners in one single curve section rather than splitting the curve into smaller sections (as I have been) to try to create the required walls?

#28 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

You can still break the turns into 2 or 3 pieces which is preferable to give it a proper camber and also a more suitable driving surface of the invisible part (remember that the TRK file will still use the GTK shape of the turn walls, not the only graphical 3do that you add to it)

And yes , you can leave that part alone until you have 100% elevations.
Then, with the help of 3dsimed, will be very easy to import the reference vertices from the wall edges into 123do and create a 3do object in very short time. :)

#29 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:42 AM

can you give me advice/guidelines as to what I should include as walls & what is better added as 3do's?

Currently I am still experimenting a little, but my intent has been to add as much as possible as walls e.g. the track edges (cobblestones/dirt/curbs), pavement, grass, banking, trees, bushes, adjoining roads (where it's simple enough), haybales, armco

Is it wise to create pavement curb with height & use a trace outside it to raise the pavement to it's height level?
How do I add collision to the curb? or any trees, armco etc
e.g. I have armco walls from 2057 but can drive through them.

Where I have added a wall with height I am struggling to get textures on the 'ends' of the walls. Currently I have texture on the track side face & the top of haybales.
I have been reading the manual & have added these lines to the .tex file
2055 0 0 10.0 10.0 hay2
2055 0 1 10.0 10.0 hay2
2055 0 2 10.0 10.0 hay2
2055 0 4 1.0 1.0 hay2
2055 0 5 1.0 1.0 hay2

soooo much to learn :unsure:

Attached Files

#30 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:36 AM

Let's start from the bottom :)
your lines
2055 0 0 10.0 10.0 hay2
2055 0 1 10.0 10.0 hay2
2055 0 2 10.0 10.0 hay2
2055 0 4 1.0 1.0 hay2
2055 0 5 1.0 1.0 hay2
are OK; even better if you use a different texture for the top (a little lighter) 2 and the start /end 4 and 5( a little darker and small enough to cover only the part that you intend to texture).
Remember that for 4 and 5  the entries tells the texture how many times is repeated, while for the 0 and 1 are in meters for length and height.
2 has a particular setting since it looks for the entries of 0 and uses that to repeat as you put in it.
Finally, to have the walls show you need to use UNK 4 values (add to the number you already have) in the GTK; 32 for the front wall and 64 for the end part.

To have the collision of the walls you put in the GTK you MUST remember to export the TRK file otherwise you only see the changes but will not have the physics of it.

I don't quite understand your question about the pavement curb.
If you want to use a wall with height in the GTK, remember that very probably you will not be able to drive on it.
If you want to create a sidewalk type, on which you can drive on, you can place 2 traces one close to the other ( a few centimeters away) then raise the outside one to your liking.

#31 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Ginetto :)

View Postginetto, on 08 July 2016 - 04:36 AM, said:

Finally, to have the walls show you need to use UNK 4 values (add to the number you already have) in the GTK; 32 for the front wall and 64 for the end part.

If my haybales are in 1 section what value do I enter for the unk4 value to see the ends? or do I need to split the section? (see above 3rd image)

#32 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

If they are in one single section, with both start and end that you want visible, then you do Unk4=98 for the haybale wall.
This means that it has the start texture (32) the end texture (64) and the top texture is mapped once laterally (2)

#33 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• 9,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:19 PM

Ginetto is the "Harry Potter" of Grand Prix Legends editing.  :P
Greg

... What's who's name?

#34 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

thanks Ginetto, I wasn't sure if it was as simple as that :D

a wizard he certainly is :)

#35 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:09 AM

I can't find the altitude spreadsheet refered to in Martin Keizer's Altitudes & Traces tutorial (Grand Prix Legends Track Creating Guide by GPLEA and Grand Prix Legends File Formats by P.A.Flack)

I'm sure I used to have it, anyone got it?

#36 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

I have it at home but I'm away now. I never used it though.
If is not in thetools section, maybe someone else can post it here.

I use graced for everything ; last version in windows mode is just all i could ask for :)

#37 Remy

Remy

Honored Member

• 2,327 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

maybe here :)

http://srmz.net/inde...t=75#entry30017

#38 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:21 AM

i have graced_099. is that the latest version?

#39 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

http://srmz.net/inde...13

#40 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

thanks my friend :)

#41 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

ok, next questions ;)

graced:
the height axis , lower graph says +/- 0.5m; how can I make this bigger? I will have a total of about 200m in elevation change

is it best to work based on start of section0 is at zero metres & calculate +/- relative to that/previous sections?
or
can I set the start altitude of 754.2m?

#42 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Is best not to have any elevation below 0, even by 1 millimeter. So it is ok to start at 754,2 or 154,2 or 54,2 if you know that you will not go below 0 along the whole circuit.
Graced adapt the initial window to the elevation changes that track has, if you move one section with the mouse by 200 meters in height, next time it will open and show  +200,5 and -0,5.
Read the readme file since it tells you what are the keys on thekeyboard that zoom in and zoom out both the bottom part or the top part, once you read it it is very easy to manage.

#43 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

graci :)
I figured out the re-open & raise height again, re-open etc etc whilst experimenting today so good to know the limits before I get too far ;)
enjoying graced so far :D

#44 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,621 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

Ginetto,

I think you have maybe just pointed me at how to finally fix Wigram! I had thought that keeping the track near to z = 0 was a good idea, but since that track goes negative and since I cannot fix the ctd problems etc. we have there, I think that this might actually be the cause, since I am certain that there are no gaps!

Is there a simple way for me to move the entire track 1 metre higher above 0,0,0 so that it will no longer go negative in altitude? (I don't want to have to completely redo the track and I don't want to have to reissue it with new altitudes as a new track), so if there is an easy way to shift the gtk upwards by 1 m and then recompile, but retaining all other relative altitudes, then that would be great!

Rob

#45 roo

roo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on 28 July 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

Ginetto,

I think you have maybe just pointed me at how to finally fix Wigram! I had thought that keeping the track near to z = 0 was a good idea, but since that track goes negative and since I cannot fix the ctd problems etc. we have there, I think that this might actually be the cause, since I am certain that there are no gaps!

Is there a simple way for me to move the entire track 1 metre higher above 0,0,0 so that it will no longer go negative in altitude? (I don't want to have to completely redo the track and I don't want to have to reissue it with new altitudes as a new track), so if there is an easy way to shift the gtk upwards by 1 m and then recompile, but retaining all other relative altitudes, then that would be great!

Rob

excellent!

Before I go further adding altitude, do i need to be completely finished in the gtk. if i want to change traces later, or edit the gtk in any way, will i have to do the graced work again?

Edited by roo, 28 July 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#46 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

Rob, yes you can in excel, raise all the columns of the traces by the quantity you want then reopen in graced.

Roo, if you change the traces position and create any camber, then the value of the cambers will be different.
If you add a trace between 2 already there, the value of the height will be exactly in the middle so, if you then move the trace to adjust its position, you will need to fix all its elevations; to avoid this you can keep on add and erase a trace in GPLtrk without move them until is in the position that you like so it will be "perfectly flat" between its 2 adjacent traces unless you move it :).
If you add a section in the GTk. it will be flat and the previous one will end where you did choose before so you will need to fix the elevations of those 2 sections.

I attached an extract from gracED readme.
Ciao! :wave:

Command overview:

w: Write traces to file
a: Toggle display of angles
c: Check altitude and gradient jumps
f: Fix altitude and gradient jumps
z: Zoom out to show entire track
q: Quit
Q: Quit without saving

Cursor up/down: Select trace
Home:    Select centre-line trace
KP 7/1: Select leftmost section or trace (*)
KP 9/3: Select rightmost section or trace (*)
Insert/Delete:  Zoom upper height limit
Page Up/Down:   Zoom lower height limit

Left mouse btn:  Select section or edit trace
Right mouse btn: Cancel edit

(*) Depends on in which graph the mouse cursor is.

H/h: calling a small help window which will list the available keyboard options.

#47 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

I am curious now, since I also looked at some other tracks' gtk files that also go negative, but which do not have any issues, do you know if the problem is particularly with negative z axis numbers, or if it is a problem with numbers that are very close to zero and maybe some sort of division by zero problem perhaps? (Just curious really, but in any case I will shift Wigram 1 m upwards and see if that magically fixes everything else!)

Thanks for the tip!

Rob

#48 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:35 AM

For sure going below 0  with heights alter the physics of some walls with height (for example, 2048 becomes hard instead of collision free).
Now I'm not  sure if it gives other issues; it's possible but I never look into it. I am just avoiding that to be on the safe side. :)

#49 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on 28 July 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

.............. since I am certain that there are no gaps!.............

Ginetto mentioned elsewhere that it's best to overlap every section by 2 or 3 units, I assume you've already done that? ;)

I can confirm that I did a lot of offline races at Wigram while tinkering with the AI and had no crashes or lock ups whatsoever, so the problem does seem to only be when racing online.

I struggled to get the AI to behave there maybe because the racing line is quite a way away from the centre line of the track in places... maybe that's causing a problem? :shrug:

Hope you can get if fixed, it's a great track!

Edited by Fat Rich, 29 July 2016 - 07:20 AM.

#50 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:06 AM

I hope I can get it fixed too. We like racing there with ADC but have had a load of mass discos across a range of mods, but for no readily good reasons. As you say, offline there are no problems and I have driven hundreds of miles there testing possible fixes to convince myself that things are better, only to find that four of us suddenly all pop off at once on the second lap of an online race there. :(

The track is wide, but the centre line does mostly follow near where you drive since if nothing else it would ruin the track length if it were too far wrong. ;)

I am hopeful about this one though as I can see how stuff being at exactly zero altitude, (which large areas are) and likewise about stuff going below zero could cause issues, so moving the whole lot up by 1 metre could logically fix stuff. Presumably that will banjax saved replays though as everything will be 1 m higher in 3D space, or does the replay file automatically only work relative to the track surface so replays will also shift up by 1 metre too? That will be interesting to see... :think:

Rob