• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

One of my pet peeves about GPL is that the mirrors are so small in real terms as I’m sitting at my monitor.  Sure, the perspective is right and maybe if you have a projector you can make the cockpit life-sized, but sitting in the GT mod cars, on my 24” monitor at around 32” from my nose, the center inside mirrors range from 5.25” x 1.1” to 3.75” x 0.9”

The size isn’t too much of a problem, but the view is often blocked by bodywork or intake stacks.  I think that these are probably less noticeable in real life, but in a Sim, you can’t look around things by moving your head.

So to make them transparent, I opened the mirror related mip with WinMip2 and saved it as a bmp.  This created two files.  For the Chap2F, for instance, the 2Fmrim.mip became 2Fmrim.bmp AND 2Fmrim_ti.bmp  I have a transp.mip which will make an area transparent, removing mirror objects, but what do I do with the ti labeled file and how do they come back together?

Edited by Bob Simpson, 16 September 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#2 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

bob,
the two files you get are 1) the regular mirror graphics (something.bmp) and the actual alpha channel for it (something_ti.bmp). if you want clear mirrors you need to edit both. remove the intake stack, bodywork or whatever from the "something.bmp" and then do the same for the alpha channel graphics, "something_ti.bmp".
then open the bitmap with winmip2 - it should automatically load the _ti as well, you should see something indicating a transparency bitmap - and save it as a mip. not sure on the type as i mess that up all the time, probably type 5 or something. basically use the same type the original had.

that's it