How to map a mirror?
Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:44 AM
I want to know how to map the mirror of a car in cockpit view. How is this done?
Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:31 PM
There are 2 options to add the mirror:
1. In the main car 3do. Only an option if the mirror is not obscured by cockpit parts.
Normally you need to add it in a node that is after the cockpit sub 3do so it will show in front of the cockpit 3d structure.
2. In the cockpit sub 3do. The choice for mirrors partly or completely attached to the hub.
Either way the setup is the same:
1. add a strn reference called mirror in the strn table of the main car 3do or cockpit 3do.
2. You can use a T5 sub 13 and hexedit the strn mirror reference or use a T5 sub 4 with class 13 and a T5 sub 1 and hexedit it to use the mirror mip. Either way seems to work Note: to be safe i would use the T5-4 and the class 13, classes are used to either switch of drivers arms etc.. and probably also needed to show objects in mirrors. I'm not sure if a T5-13 would give problems in that area (i even might need to redo some mirrors for the same reason )
3. i normally place a mirror rim mip after the mirror section but only if the complete mirror is a single polygon and not scattered about several planes. If that is the case i place the mirror rim in the main car 3do after the cockpit node.
For the mirror rim i use a square mip with maximum values for y & z of the mirror.
I draw a rim mip and stretch the mip y & z values a bit.
To calculate the mapping coords i use an excel sheet where i type in the outer boundaries of the mirror coords.
I've attached a sample excel of the Alfa 12C-36 cockpit mirror mapping
It's a bit cryptic (no means to make screenshots atm sry ) so should you have questions just ask
Edited by MECH, 25 October 2010 - 02:42 PM.
Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:46 PM