How to create multi path layouts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michkov

Michkov

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

I recently found that Vallelunga lets you complete the lap by taking a shortcut that bypasses T2-5 and the whole track after it by running straight on after the first turn and using the Oval part. My question is how can I build such shortcurts into my track? Hope the question makes sense.

#2 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

You need to use a feature called "gappy" which was added in the final version of the track compiler. You have to tell the compiler that you are allowed to drive though the outside wall of the track and move to a non-sequential section of track. You also need to remove any solid outer walls on the track in those sections which you link as well. I think that it is the sort of feature you have to do every time you compile, so it is only really worth doing it on the very final compile after you are happy with all of the other aspects of the track.

Rob

#3 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

From trk23doZ readme:

-======================================-
trk23doz                   20-jun-2004
       © 1998-2001 P.A.Flack
-======================================-

..An update to trk23dof, released 2½ years ago!  Notable additions/changes:  Gappy, TSO file format changes, HSV shading.

Extras
-======-
* Gappy *
Now it's possible to recreate the Mexico-hairpin effect with ease.  Create a text file like this: (clermont.gap here)

Gap file for Clermont

Where the first line is a comment line, and each subsequent line is a track section number where you want to allow cars to leave the section left/right (normally GPL stops this happening).  You'll also need to remove the outer-most wall-with-height to make this possible.

For this reason, you can only perform Gappy on a .trk, not on a .gtk.

Also note, your track sections must overlap!  Any gap between them will most likely result in a CTD as the car can't travel on nothing.
:wave:

Done these tracks and working on others.

#4 Michkov

Michkov

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, sounds a lot easier than I imagined it would be, famous last words I know :). Regarding the overlap what is the advised amount. Gaps are bad obviously but are there problems with large overlaps as well?

#5 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

You need overlap but the less the better.

Done these tracks and working on others.