GPLRank & Friends: Help needed with migrating to a new server.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hoover

hoover

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:28 AM

Hi folks,

my name is Uwe Schuerkamp, some may remember me from the bygone days of gplrank v1 which I wrote in Perl originally and hosted on a tiny Uni machine for a while back in 90s.

For a long time, GPLRank has been hosted on Brian Wong's ("blw") Solaris server in the US, following a major rewrite in php 5.x by Ed Hut and others.

As Brian will be retiring his Solaris box soon we're looking for volunteers who'd like to help with migrating GPLRank to a new server (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) kindly provided by Dave Stanley of NRTservers.com (the VM is already providing the GPL community with  iGOR match making services thanks to the help of Lou Magyar and Christoph Frick).

We've run into a few issues with the php code and sadly, the original authors are unable to help at this point in time. I'd also like to migrate GPLRank to a supported php version so we'll be able to enjoy upgrades to the language (current DB backend is MariaDB 10.x).

While I'm fine with the admin side of things my php-fu is rather limited so any help would be welcome.

So if you're versed in PHP, & MySQL on a LAMP setup and would like to help to keep GPLRank alive, please get in touch via email at uwe.schuerkamp@gmail.com so we can sort out the details.

Happy new year & all the best,

Uwe

#2 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

Uwe,

I see a very well known GPL contributor is coming back !.I remember well your posts at Racesim Central. WHat great days we lived.

I can't help but you are in very good hands to find a solution here at the Repository.

I think you should also copy and paste your post at the SRMZ forum

http://srmz.net/inde...p?showforum=171

....where some Gplers very concerned by the future of the GPL Rank  can have a knowledge about GPL Rank and php-fu

Edited by M Needforspeed, 30 December 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#3 hoover

hoover

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:36 AM

Thanks! I never left gplrank really and still did the day-to-day admin stuff like resetting PWs and recovering accounts, but I wasn't really involved in the v2 development so I'm a bit out of my depth here :)

thanks for the note about the SRMZ forum, I cannot log in there however, my login only seems to work here in this subforum.

Maybe you can link to this post over there for me?

All the best, Uwe

#4 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hi Uwe :)
I did copy paste your post here , hope you'll to have some helpful replies :)
If you want to register there at SRMZ, just do so and I will validate you ASAP.

Have a good new year's eve :thumbup:

Done these tracks and working on others.