4 replies to this topic

#1 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,985 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:24 PM

Hi admins.

Over at SRMZ, Mr. Photog was asking about someplace to get assistance and work on new tracks.
I see that he has a membership here since 2004.  He's been out of circulation for a while and wishes to return here.
I requested for him to post here.
Any help that you may give, I am sure will be received gratefully.

Thanks!
Greg

... What's who's name?

#2 Mr. Photog

Mr. Photog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

Hi, all!

Thanks Greg.

I posted over at SRMZ looking for a track editing forum... long story short, back around 2005 I thought I had lost all my track editing data.  Earlier this month, I found an old backup DVD with the projects as they sat in mid-August of 2005.  So there are a few different projects, but there are 3 with elevations, textures, and 3dos.  One in particular I would really like to be able to release.

I have a bunch of tracks that I messed with a little, 15 years ago, and I started a new one last week just to start re-learning the tools of trackmaking.  The new one has a couple of crossovers -- underpasses, like suzuka or Monza 10k -- which were something I had never done before, so I was asking about unk 4 values, which I think I need to draw the bottom side of the asphalt... anyway, that's just a bit of fun right now.

Anyway, that's my little (re-)intro.

The 3 that are possible candidates for release are all US sportscar tracks from the 50s-60s, 2 of which I actually learned about when researching Marlboro, my first track.

Vineland, NJ.  The track closest to release form, and the one I would most like to finish. Another road course built around a tiny paved oval.  This one has an outfield section and an infield section, with a little bit more elevation change than Marlboro.  Still pretty flat and sandy, though.  The road course used to hold SCCA races, not sure there was ever anything bigger than that.  It's in the woods, like Marlboro, so there's not much beyond the edge of the track.

Cumberland, MD.  An airfield circuit. The "altitudes" here are mostly just bumps when transitioning from one piece of tarmac to another. (though it's actually in the mountains... just off the track, it's pretty steep!)  Another club racing track... the pits were moved around the circuit over the years, so I somewhat arbitrarily put them by the s/f line. Also sometimes used a split s/f... start on the back straight, finish on the front straight.

Wilmot Hills, WI. Very short -- just over a mile, and only 5 turns.  Sharp right at the far end, just at the crest of a hill.  Somebody painted "PRAY" on the track just before it in the early years of racing, and it became known as "Pray hill".  The track is the access road and parking lots of a ski area; only significant TSO is the ski lodge, just at the s/f line.

That's what I'm working on right now.  I'm sure I'll have questions, and I'll need some help.

But for now, just wanted to say hello.

#3 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,650 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

Hello and welcome! :welcome:
I cleared you for the private track editing forum :thumbup:

Done these tracks and working on others.

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• 9,985 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

Hello, Matt.  Good to have you back, though I am a newbie compared to you!

Those are some interesting track projects that you propose.  The Vineland, NJ sounds like another good 'starter track'.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.
If you are serious ... just ask for a private Forum to be created for your track projects and then request that some members here have access to it, along with you.

Have a good browse of the work that is being done here.  Also, you might glance at some of our past efforts.  :)
Greg

... What's who's name?

#5 Mr. Photog

Mr. Photog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

Thanks.  I'm continuing to work on the tracks... hope to have all 3 driveable-ish soon, but mostly working on re-learning all of the tools.

Thankfully, I think I already made the most complex 3dos I need for all of the tracks; most of what I want to work on before getting "serious" are some altitudes, mostly of the terrain just off-track.

And I am continuing to mess with the project that I started last week -- again, as a way to re-learn the tools without messing up a long-running project.  (Yes, I still have my backup dvds of the old projects. I'm just squeamish about it, I guess).  So lots of re-learning about texture mapping, learning trk23doz and its new file formats, which I hadn't used before.

With Vineland, I'm going back through several rounds of notes from beta testers, and trying to figure out how much of the work they suggested I've already done... wish I had kept some sort of notes on the work.

I'm hoping to have things read in a couple of weeks for some small testing to start, but I will pop in with questions in the meantime.

Matt