srb texture waving

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

Ok, So I know this is going to sound strange to those of you who know me, but I haven't a clue how SRBs work.

As much as they are an integral part of the GPL experience, I've never messed with them and don't know how to manipulate them to do what I want.

I know that things like the flagman is an SRB, but that's about it.  

How do you make the waving flagman?

How do people make the 'waving' flags on a pole?

How do you make the image face the viewer always?

If someone has a user guide to SRBs, that would be great!  If not, then maybe this thread will help not only me, but others like me!

#2 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

How do you make the waving flagman?
Flagmen and starter are in GPL/objs folder and ruled by the .exe itself; they are not just SRB; the images themselves need to have a determinate color palette or they will not work.

How do people make the 'waving' flags on a pole?
Those are made by using the animation tool called GPL Anim that create a structure that can handle animated objects.
For the flags, you then create a series of (usually 8) SRB that will make a loop when played continuously.
I found a little tool called flagimation that can create a waving series of images from a base bmp; you can for sure make better flags using the modern 3D programs but I just don't know how...

How do you make the image face the viewer always?
That is the characteristic of SRB 3DOs.
You use SRB23DO tool (GPLSRBMini3DOEditor100.exe) for creating the 3DO that goes with the SRB image; giving its height and an optional collision.
SRB image comes from a BMP using WinMip, exactly as the MIP image.
Here you find some tricks by luna:
http://javinester.co...pl/editing.html

Done these tracks and working on others.

#3 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 03:38 PM

This is how to add an SRB to a pre existing 3DO:

This can be done using GPL Editor:

1. add new string = name of .srb. Make note of offset

2. add new vertex (point) xyz = position of srb in the 3do. Make note of index number

3. find place in 3do tree for srb. This is the awkward bit.  To avoid clipping the srb needs to be positioned in the correct node of the correct plane. Your 3do will most likely be a load of T-9 nodes - 1st child is above (in front of) the plane, 2nd is on the plane and 3rd is below (behind) the plane. Usually the 3rd node will have another T-9 node. Basically your srb will need to be behind (below) everything that is in front of it and in front of (above) everything that is behind it  ... this is obvious in the real world but you need to consider the structure of a 3do to get it to work in the GPL world. If you select a node and press F2 you'll see all the contents of that node, and this should help you find where in the 3do tree the srb should be. The attached diagram may also help explain how this works if you wanted for example to have a tree behind the two 'walls'. (note that depending on the structure of the object it may actually be impossible to add the the srb without clipping, or at least not without altering the planes first.) If you're lucky you'll find an empty node where you can put the srb ; if not you'll need to cut the node, replace with a T-4 with 2 children and paste back what you cut into the 2nd child and add the srb in the 1st child (or vice versa  ).

4. When you've found the right place/node, right-click and replace node with a T-3 (srb) node.

5. Double-click srb node, type in string offset and vertex number, set scale (in metres) and set unk to 65536.

6. save 3do, done.

#4 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:12 AM

Many thanks Ginetto.  This helps tremendously.

#5 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

Great Lou :)
For some more inside on the SRB you can look this and my following posts in the thread.
http://srmz.net/inde...572
Just consider that the pitboard.srb that we talk about there, behaves just like all the other .srb files so those two adjustable values in the last row move the anchor point (where the SRB rotates around) along the texture.

This is useful for example if you have a flag with pole texture that you want to use as SRB:
You make the SRB and by default it will rotate around its center.
If you want it to rotate around the center of the pole that is on the left, you will need to change the value to the pixel you measured to be the center of the pole in the texture.

Hope its clear enough... :P