15 replies to this topic

#1 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

Hi guys,

I think I may need some help here. I've gotten myself a new 31.5" screen that is running 3840x2160 native. Once you get
used to the sheer size, which really doesn't take that long, you start playing around with it. Since getting it yesterday, I've
tried a couple of current games and wanted to have a go at GPL now. Sad thing is - I can't make it cooperate. Now, what
do I mean by that?
Well basically I can start GEM or even GPL direct from the file explorer and get into the actual game. However, in there I
only get about the top left quarter stretched to the limits of my screen. So essentially I see a 320x240 slice of the GPL
menu stretched to 3840x2160. Needless to say trying to navigate that is not working as you're missing 3/4 of the menu,
in particular the once with the actual green button on it.
I tried fiddling with the settings in core.ini for the V2 rasterizers, changed those from 0 / 0 to 3840 / 2160 respectively,
no sale. Tried setting the UHD resolution via GEM's rasterizer "menu" - also no sale. Tried changing that whole lot to the
FHD rsolution (1920 / 1080), again no can do, sir.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to run the OGL v2 rasterizer as the Direct-X one used to not like NVidia cards that much
recently. Also I was under the impression, that D3D v7 is somewhat limited in max resolution. I think it is capable of just
over FHD, but not 4k resolution. <sigh>

What am I missing?

/edit
just tried again with D3D v2, resolution per GEM: 1920x1080. Same result. And what's most annoying about all that,
when I try to Alt+Tab out of the game, the resolution stays at what I assume is 640x480 with GPL showing full screen.
Also invoking the taskmanager via Shift+ESC or trying to quit GPL via Alt+F4 do not work, so I basically have to sign
out and log back in with everything else gone in the mean time. That honestly sucks badly.

Edited by sky, 20 June 2019 - 05:45 AM.

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Honored Member

• 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

Hi Roman

Have you done this settings, as the stretched menu is a fault of the monitor!

You should switch from "Anzeige" to GPU!

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, 20 June 2019 - 06:07 AM.

#3 Lee

Lee

Honored Member

• 8,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

Roman, you don't say which OS you're running, but here is a thread link to information about what I had to do to get GPL running with Windows 10.  Some of the graphics settings may apply to other OS too.

http://srmz.net/inde...2523&hl=windows

I'd start with paragraph B to see if that corrects the menu issue.

#4 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,202 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:48 AM

Sorry about the OS. It's W10pro, latest build I'd assume.

Axel, I've tried those settings and they didn't do anything. So I fiddled with my screen's own scaling settings - also did nothing.
Then I went on another googling spree and found that if you right click the .exe in your file explorer, bring up "Properties" and
then go to the "Compatibility" tab, near the bottom you will find a button "Change high DPI settings" at the bottom and then
activating the button closest to the bottom "Override high DPI scaling behaviour. Scaling performed by:" and there select the
option "Application" (which I believe is the default) then you can get into the game with proper sized menu and all.

Link to thread where this was recommended: here

You need to do that for all your GPL.exes (i.e. gplxsc.exe, gplm71.exe, etc.) - a bit tedious but whatever. On doing that I came
to realize that I have to complete GPL installations on separate disks in my computer (DUH!) and GEM was trying to access
the other. So I made changes in one locally and told GEM to start... the unrelated other... yeah. Silly me.

Anyway, I've got into the game, menus look tip top. However, since I've been an avid user of the 60 fps mod, that now gives
me some sort of issue I need to sort. I can run the CA71 with 4k resolution @36fps just fine. And I had it going at 60 fps once
as well, but my steering config was using god knows what (probably the wheel, currently on the floor somewhere behind me).
So I copied a backup of a control.cfg from my test user from a couple years back (using gamepad for convenience right now).
Now with that the 60fps version starts, but I don't see any mouse cursor. If I click regardless, the game crashes. Now I have
3 different 60fps mods, v1, v2 and v2new. It used to work with v2new - seems not to work anymore at this time. So I cycled
through the others, rebuilding the .exes in between. With the others I either get the exact same behaviour (no mouse cursor
and on clicking -> crash) or I get a mouse cursor, but can't click anything. Damn. I need that 60fps goodness.

Lee, thanks for your feedback as well!
BTW I have been over Bob's GPL troubleshooting guide - and the directmemoryrendering=0 thing did nothing for me, so it is
back to 1 again - where it has been for the past 15 or so years :)

/edit
When I get all of this sorted, I will try GPL on my 65" TV. Should be fun. After all that's where the cockpit will be parked in
front of eventually ("only" have to build that one first, ;))

Edited by sky, 20 June 2019 - 06:51 AM.

#5 Lee

Lee

Honored Member

• 8,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

Good to hear you got the graphics issues solved.  Paragraph F in my instructions offer more links about changing the DPI setting for each .exe.

I can't help with the 60 fps issue as I don't normally use it.

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Honored Member

• 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

I still use W7...

But I never use 36fps at GPL!

I bet your GPU is idling when running GPL, so 36fps is no problem in sleep mode...

my NV settings GPL-profile for my new 1060 are:

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, 20 June 2019 - 08:00 AM.

#7 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,202 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

As with my last two cards, GPL doesn't wake it up from slumber. I just checked to make sure. I was running @4k with a single car
at Mexico (36fps) and the card was puttering around at 435 Mhz, which is 135 Mhz above it's 2D idle ;).

So far I haven't even bothered with the 3D settings in the panel, they should be stock. On checking your screen, Axel, I've checked
and I'm running at "optimal power" instead of "prefer maximum power" which used to be my setting before. Most everything is set
to application controlled as current games usually have these settings, with notable exceptions being the Dark Souls series which
doesn't have this. Vsync on / off, the end. ;).
With GPL the actual graphic card became pretty much irrelevant from the GTX2xx series onwards as they all could handle what we
would throw at them with GPL. Only GPU memory could be a let down. I'm always going for the most I can get for the least amount
(or an otherwise good deal) in that regard.

On the 60fps.. honestly I don't know what's up with that. I remember having had issues in the past. But then I would just pick one
of the 3 options and it would work flawlessly. I've had it running at FHD resolutions using this same card but just my previous 24"
screen. Not sure, what's up with that. Also Spa67 refuses to load now, which is odd since I didn't change anything in that regard...

#8 Lee

Lee

Honored Member

• 8,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

On my laptop, the cpu will never bump up its speed unless plugged into AC power regardless of the Windows 10 settings.

#9 Cookie

Cookie

Honored Member

• 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

My GPU runs GPL at default also in sleep mode , but if you compare the settings no AA is activated! So I see it 100% if it runs in my profile .settings ;)
It is easy to make a new profile.

See the difference:

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, 20 June 2019 - 09:44 AM.

#10 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,552 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

Axel :)
I'm trying to spot a difference between your 2 screenies but I can't find any apart the position of the car on track... am I blind? :blink:

Done these tracks and working on others.

#11 Cookie

Cookie

Honored Member

• 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Yes the example is not so good, but you can see it in the pribluda letters.

A high res junkie will see it ;)

Better to see here with the lines in a standing picture. or the short mp4 clip

PS
the pribluda grey overlay boxes seem to be affected too!

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, 20 June 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#12 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 10,552 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:51 AM

Thank you for the extra explanation :)

Done these tracks and working on others.

#13 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Honored Member

• 2,555 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostCookie, on 20 June 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

but if you compare the settings no AA is activated

Why don`t you use AA?

#14 Cookie

Cookie

Honored Member

• 502 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:27 AM

What I wanted to say is: GPL has no AA, so if you use the default NV settings no AA is active...

Edited by Cookie, 21 June 2019 - 08:28 AM.

#15 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,202 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

To be honest, I'm maybe one of the few who don't usually use AA. Last night I have been enjoying a round of the latest Tomb Raider on
my TV (via my PC) in 4k. I played around with the settings and at that distance between the TV screen and me, AA doesn't really matter
at 4K - you don't see it. Plus it puts extra stress on the card. I've even begun to activate Vsynch to limit the frames to 60 fps. And with
all of that I am happy to report, that my card doesn't even go to full boost to display it ;)

Anyway, it is, of course an entirely different matter, when I run things on my 4k monitor ~87 cm (or 34") from my eyes. But depending on
what kind of games I play, I sometimes use AA, other times I don't. Sometimes things turn somewhat blurry, i.e. fine structures or you
get interference patterns. I tried with "The Surge" (something where you are a man in a robot destroying other man-robots in a junkyard
/ spaceship type setting) and in there, I prefer no AA over whatever AA variants they offer - even on my monitor.

Didn't GPL have the option, but you couldn't select it?

Anyway, still no clue why I cannot enjoy the 4k glory with V2 rasterizers at 60fps. It just won't work, no matter what :(

#16 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,202 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

Interesting bit. I can do v2 with the original '67, but with the '67 GTs, '71 CA I can't do 60 fps - I get a proper menu but no cursor and if I click without
seeing the cursor I get the blue spinning circle of death and GPL crashes.

/edit
just for the fun of it, I edited the rasterizer size in both core.ini and in GEM to match 1920x1080 and tried running GPL - it worked using v1 60fps.
So then, emboldened by that success, I changed rasterizer settings in GEM to 3840x2160 again (leaving core.ini settings at 1920x1080) and got
the missing cursor followed by crashing again. I'm off a mind that maybe 3840x2160 might be a tad to much for this old lady...

/edit2
ok checking core.ini after changing it in GEM reveals a surprise (not really). core.ini settings are at 3840x2160. So I tried 2560x1440 - also no go.
Am I turning into that brat child lying screaming on the floor in the supermarket having a tantrum moment? You bet I am. I want 4k.

/edit3
This is with the 67 GTs. The F1'67 works like that. double-u tee eff?

Edited by sky, 21 June 2019 - 02:43 PM.