4 replies to this topic

#1 smogbike

smogbike

Yr. Friend in the Aether

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

Howdy ho, boys and girls,

Since returning to GPL, I've felt like a child in a toy store, playing with the new shiny toys.

But I can't seem to understand how to use Dave Noonan's 3DSimEd to convert N2k3's IMS grandstands for use in my Indy-F1 :think:

Import/export seems to work ... I can see the new GPL-style 3DO in the 3DSimEd window ...also in 3doEd2 :dribble:

But the new 3DO crashes older versions of 3doEd ... also crashes GPL_Track_Editor... and in-game "Track could not load" :(

Q1: Is it possible to use 3DOs converted from N2k3 within GPL?
Q2: Is this "kosher"? ;)  ...i.e., would it be considered OK to release a GPL track containing N2k3 3DOs?
Q3: What is the air speed of an un-laden African Swallow? (...or perhaps I've confused 2 topics :P )

Yr friend in the aether,
smogbike :wave:

Edited by smogbike, 12 January 2010 - 08:43 PM.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before!" - D.D.Eisenhower

#2 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

View Postsmogbike, on 12 January 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

Howdy ho, boys and girls,

Since returning to GPL, I've felt like a child in a toy store, playing with the new shiny toys.

But I can't seem to understand how to use Dave Noonan's 3DSimEd to convert N2k3's IMS grandstands for use in my Indy-F1 :think:

Import/export seems to work ... I can see the new GPL-style 3DO in the 3DSimEd window ...also in 3doEd2 :dribble:

But the new 3DO crashes older versions of 3doEd ... also crashes GPL_Track_Editor... and in-game "Track could not load" :(

Q1: Is it possible to use 3DOs converted from N2k3 within GPL?
Q2: Is this "kosher"? ;)  ...i.e., would it be considered OK to release a GPL track containing N2k3 3DOs?
Q3: What is the air speed of an un-laden African Swallow? (...or perhaps I've confused 2 topics :P )

Yr friend in the aether,

Ginetto was looking at this for the new/updated/fixed Rolex (Daytona 24h track) he was working on with Sergio, Jay and others. As I recall, he found that there is some sort of fault in the exporter that it does not correctly export the polygons and you end up with missing polys or polys facing in the wrong directions. Ginetto would be able to fill in solid details on what 3dsimEd can and can't do.

Another option might be to export the vertices and then rebuild the polygons in 123do which would work. Obviously this does mean making a lot of polygons, but at least you would have geometry to build on.

Rob

#3 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

For the ones I tried to convert they worked fine, they were just ugly to see 'cause polys reversed or not drawn, basically not usable in GPLeven if didn't crash the gamePosted Image
I don't have n2k3 files so I can't replicate what you've done, if you're still interested you could PM the files so i can have a tryPosted Image

Edited by Ginetto, 14 January 2010 - 07:15 AM.

Done these tracks and working on others.

#4 burnsy865

burnsy865

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:45 AM

View Postsmogbike, on 12 January 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

Yr friend in the aether,
I can't help you with the editing stuff but I did find this  :P

An actual study of two European Swallows flying in a low-turbulence wind tunnel in Lund, Sweden, shows that swallows flap their wings much slower than my estimate, at only 7–9 beats per second:

“Compared with other species of similar size, the swallow has quite low wingbeat frequency and relatively long wings.” 7
The maximum speed the birds could maintain was 13–14 meters per second, and although the Lund study does not discuss cruising flight in particular, the most efficient flapping (7 beats per second) occurred at an airspeed in the range of 8–11 meters per second, with an amplitude of 90–100° (17–19 cm).

#5 fletch

fletch

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

View PostGinetto, on 13 January 2010 - 03:08 PM, said:

For the ones I tried to convert they worked fine, they were just ugly to see 'cause polys reversed or not drawn, basically not usable in GPLeven if didn't crash the gamePosted Image
I don't have n2k3 files so I can't replicate what you've done, if you're still interested you could PM the files so i can have a tryPosted Image

There is a confirmed bug in the .3do export feature of 3DSimED. Dave Noonan is looking into it.

Cheers,
Kevin

Edited by fletch, 22 December 2010 - 10:46 AM.