11 replies to this topic

#1 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hello my name is Roman ...

...and I used to be a simmer. Seems I have had a relapse tonight.
I cannot say how long I have been "clean", but I've just copied some files from a zip called "Grand Prix Legends - vanilla install (incl. 60fps, no mods) 2013-12-25.7z" that I've apparently prepared in late 2013 to my current gaming drive and tried running them. Surprisingly enough, Grand Prix Legends started and I was asked to calibrate the controls, which I did. Next I was put in the hot seat of a 1967 BT24 and be told to go to Kyalami, which I also did. Not surprising where the results. Full GP strength car, no training wheels, no driving aids and while I didn't spin right away, the first of many to follow didn't take long. Now then, maybe try an easier track - Rouen. Bad choice, too. However, I made it round once, with a couple stops along they way scraping gunk and greenery out of the radiator inlet. Anyway, on to a track I sort of always liked - the home of British motorracing, Silverstone. Now that's more suited to my driving skills, flat, not too many turns and approaching turns in a straight line, brake, turn, throttle, brake, turn, throttle.. Easy enough. So I picked the big ole bus of the lot, the rear wheel cooking apparatus, Honda. After taking a couple of laps to even get the tyres up to temperature (what the hell are they made of? The rubber they used to make bumpers out of?) I pulled a 1:45, something. I don't honestly know, but I think to remember that the rank was around the 1:28-1:30 ish mark, yeah? Incidentally, driving with that full load of fuel and finally rear tyres that were approaching greenish status (fronts still blue) I got to realize that for some strange reason now the rear would step out under breaking, catching me not really unaware, but rather unable to counter it properly. Well well, pitstop time. Maybe stopping to try with 186l of fuel on board might help. And help it did. 1:36 something so far. Not great or anything, but it was a clean lap where the nose was always pointed forward and the tail in a mostly general backwards direction.

Couple of things I noticed:
Driving with the Xbox360 controller is... compared to modern games using the same input... quite demanding as it seems there is no filtering or whatever. Initially I would drive slalom - unintentional - because apparently the center is quite sensitive, brake and throttle are good. So maybe I really should think of getting me a new desk so I can hook up the ancient wheel (if it even still works) - that desk building thing was planned for the next few weeks

36fps sucks big time, I still cannot fathom how people live with that when there's better stuff out there. However, you somehow get used to it. But don't try going to 60 fps and then back from the 60fps experience in the same title to something less. That's not going to work. It'll be like playing CGA games on a 4K display or going from a powerful car to a city slug.

GEM (taken from an archive called "Grand Prix Legends secrets - vanilla 2013-12-25.7z") didn't work. I suppose I need to install that one manually. The Grand Prix Legends archive as such was just unzipped and the folder moved to my "D:\games\" folder, nothing else, ran right out of the box, even had 1920x1080 set, OGL v2 and possibly a few other .ini tweaks (ie drawthingy 99%, etc.)

I somehow remember that some parts of Grand Prix Legends or GPLsecrets were supposed to be on your system drive - likely C: for most people. I tried copying GPLsecrets (including GEM, IGOR and whatnot) there and running it - nope. Copied it to "Program Files (x86)" - nope. Whatever, after all Grand Prix Legends ran. However, I would very much love to have 60 fps again.

Next steps, most likely include raiding my old archives for all the updates of the cars taking them highres, etc. I might be mistaken, but I think what I'm using now is the result of some Grand Prix Legends Installer package CD thing, as the cars already have dashboards that are not as horrible as the ones Grand Prix Legends shipped with (shudder). Looking at the cars67 folders confirms that.. I'll reckognize the various subfolders of the Ferrari anytime.

So maybe next up, some track updates. Here's to hoping I can still cobble together the parts for the tracks I loved best. I always wanted to sort them in properly named subdirectories, etc. but in the end most likely ended up by dumping all in one giant "mod tracks" folder.. duh. Good intentions only last so long.

#2 Leon_90

Leon_90

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

View Postsky, on 16 May 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Couple of things I noticed:
Driving with the Xbox360 controller is... compared to modern games using the same input... quite demanding as it seems there is no filtering or whatever.

Yeah tell me about it :)

View Postsky, on 16 May 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

36fps sucks big time, I still cannot fathom how people live with that when there's better stuff out there. However, you somehow get used to it.

True, but alas it is the only way to race the AI properly. It's the way to go for multiplayer however, even if the cars have some unexpected reactions even there

Edited by Leon_90, 16 May 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#3 maddog

maddog

Honored Member

• 1,897 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

In the beginning, there was Papyrus.  Welcome back to the source of sophisticated Sims racing.  Onwards to victory! :drive1:
It's a hard life, but someone has to live it!

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

It's not a relapse...You've been saved Brother Roman!

#5 Lee

Lee

Honored Member

• 7,625 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi, my name is Lee and I am a Grand Prix Legends addict too.

Roman, yes you are addicted too.  Once you are hooked on Grand Prix Legends, there is no treatment to cure it.  :)

Isn't it amazing that an 18 year old sim can still be this good?

Yes, 36 fps isn't as good as 60 fps.  But if you want to race against the AI, then 36 fps is normally the best overall option.

#6 davef

davef

Honored Member

• 1,112 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

And the History of Motorsport to be found in G.P.L. I don't think any where else in Sim racing is it possible ?

To be able to relive the tracks & cars of yesteryear from the cockpit. :)

How lucky we are !

Edited by davef, 16 May 2016 - 04:58 PM.

Dave

#7 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,046 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hear, hear!
So yes, at it again. 60fps works, too. But the steering thingy with the pad - no good. It's super twitchy around the center. It would be good to be able to configure a dead zone of sorts. Looking over core and app.ini I don't see how that's possible. And since the control file is not exactly plain ascii... ah well I guess most of my spins now are caused by the twitchyness there, holding a slide? Just stick it on the throttle and you can hold it in a 360° like fashion.
As for racing vs. the AI. While that is nice I've always been more of a hotlapper anyway, but it used to be fun at certain tracks with the CA ai - even running 60fps.

Now honestly, what I long for is updated technology, mixing it up with 2 or 3 of the current gen "sims". And I'm thinking converting cars and tracks would be the easy part. Driving code is where it's at which has never been replicated quite like it.

Anyway, this recent bout with Grand Prix Legends was by pure chance stumbling over the file folder on one of the drives in my server after installing yet another 4T disk and looking for drivers.. "hm "Grand Prix Legends" directory, I wonder what's in there ...". Add to that that a friend of mine, newly fallen victim to the SIM racing bug, has built himself a rig from an old bimmer E30 seat, triple screens and a pressure sensitive handbrake thingy (of his design). He's into Dirt Rally (which I hadn't played in a couple of months either). So eventually I will give his rig a try... He's already thinking of upgrading it with windscreen wiper motors for the motion thingy since those motors are apparently torquey enough to do that. I see delusions of grandeur looming on the horizon. Building a tubular chassis, slapping some fibreglass bodywork on it and getting a VR headset. Luckily NV has just released their 1080 graphics cards which should enable 4K.. but hey, digressing (as you're used to from my end)...

I am tempted to install some mods, but at the same time am not due to the steering issue. And with my desk still being the same as back in the day, attaching the wheel is not an option. Neither is going keyboard driving - carpal tunnel refresher? I don't think so.

Lee, 18 years and kicking it. It's so funny talking to today's gamer kids (well they're legal and all, but still) and being able to say, I've been gaming since before you were born, so don't give me "gamer" :P and most don't even know Grand Prix Legends, some might have heard of it as some obscure old title that used to be "it" back when...

Martin, in the beginning there was... Indy500! and yes, that was Papyrus as well. When was that even? (had to google). 1989! Hell yeah. Sim racing for 27 years now! Where did I go wrong? :P

#8 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,154 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Isn't the point of the steering linearity setting within Grand Prix Legends to allow you to effectively desensitise the control near the centre and make it get progressively faster the more you move the controls? I think back in the day that a lot of people started playing on joysticks and so for that the requirements to get things working well were somewhat similar to the requirements for a game controller would be?

Only started with Indy500? Revs (and Revs + 4 tracks) on a BBC model B for me. :)

Rob

#9 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• 6,451 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

Wasn't there a carting sim back around the time that Grand Prix Legends was released.  Was that also Papyrus?   I remember playing a demo (it was almost a slide-show on my then computer) from Computer Gaming World mag.
Greg

... What's who's name?

#10 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,046 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Well as for gaming, I think I have some earlier titles like Gato (1984), Congo Bongo (1983) and Tapper (1983) all of them PC in 4 colour CGA glory ;). As for actual racing, I don't know, Burnin Rubber on the C64 (1983) and later Grand Prix Circuit (1987) followed by Test Drive and Test Drive 2 (the duel) on both PC and Amiga, circa 1987 before Indy500 came around. Oh and as the oldest game within the household, that was the actual Pac Man on an Atari 2600 of our landlord. Other than that Space Invaders on an arcade table at the public pool.

As for the linear vs non linear, I had the slider at both extremes and did not really feel any difference which was odd.

Edited by sky, 18 May 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#11 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,154 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

Revs was actually a simulator though on BBC model B, all managed in only 32 kb of memory. It even had " car set up" in that you had to pick front and rear wing settings that did drastically affect the handling too. The really clever thing they did to be able to use more of the total available memory was writing numbers and code to the screen in the sky written as blue text over blue background so that the player couldn't see it. :) IIRC it was Geoff Crammond's first racing sim.

https://en.wikipedia...vs_(video_game)

I am surprised that changing the linearity didn't make any difference as I thought that was what it was for. Hmmm. I am sure there must be a solution as I know that several users are running on game controllers with a reasonable degree of comfort and success.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, 18 May 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#12 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Honored Member

• 2,554 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

The light came with Indy500, next I started with IndyCar Racing from Papyrus, driving with a Microsoft joystick. Then came ICR 2 and next Grand Prix Legends by mid 1999, still with a joystick for some time. Sure there are other games, but Grand Prix Legends is the real thing imho. :)
AP