Create new .3do of an existing file

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ferrari 312

Ferrari 312

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi I have this .3do file from Phoenix 1995 (old conversion to GPL from Indycar Racing 2 track), I would like to make a billboard as large as this one. Is there some way that you can calculate how big to make it from the existing one?

The only reason that I want to do this is so that I can specify what texture to use. This .3do points to a particular mip and a certain area on it to map the correct texture. I would like to make a bigger texture for it and give it it's own dedicated .mip file. The existing .mip is only 256x170??  :blink: not even a size that GPL likes.

Any help much appreciated

Craig

Attached Files

#2 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

With 3dsimed or the older 3doed bot by David Noonan, you can open any GPL 3dos and , clicking on the vertices, see its dimensions.
With 123do, see THISpage for reference, you can create a new 3do that has new textures with new mapping so you can replace the old one just giving the same name to your new 3do :)

Done these tracks and working on others.

#3 Ferrari 312

Ferrari 312

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi Ginetto

Thanks for the link when I'll have a read and if I get stuck with anything I will post back here.

Thanks again Craig

Edited by Ferrari 312, 27 June 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#4 Ferrari 312

Ferrari 312

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

Hi Ginetto

I'm struggling with this I have followed Bernd's tutorial but I think I am doing something basically wrong with either getting the vertices info using 3doED or putting it into 123do incorrectly. I'm trying to recreate the bill5.3do in my first post if I understand what I am doing the vertices I need to enter into 123do are:
             X    Y      Z
Vertice 9.1440  0.0000 1.2192
        0.0000  0.0000 1.2192
        0.0000  0.0000 -2.7432
        9.1440  0.0000 -2.7432

I have obtained the above by opening the bill5.3do in 3doEd and then selecting export XYZ is this correct?

At the moment when I get to the end of the process that Bernd describes I get a tiny little object in 123do that if I mouse over then generates an error that forces me to quit 123do as the error window reopens everytime I try to close it.

Hopefully the above makes some sense

Craig

#5 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

Yes :)
If you use win7 do the following:

Right click on the icon of 123do
choose properties
select compatibility
tick Disable desktop composition
click apply
Should work now.

In 123do you can zoom in and out wit hthe mouse wheel and you can also enlarge or make smaller the vertices dots.
Usually, for little objects is usefull to scale it 10 times bigger so you can see it better, then before to create the 3do you scale it 0.1 to make it to the correct size :wave:

Done these tracks and working on others.

#6 Ferrari 312

Ferrari 312

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi Ginetto

Thanks for the tips I am using Win7 on a notebook but without a mouse, connecting a mouse has now fixed the multiple error windows I was getting and I can now see what I am creating  :thumbup:

I was getting an error when I tried to create the .3do file that read: Application and/or project file path contains spaces. Unable to use ase23do and/or GPL

Eventually I worked out that the default directory that OneTwo3do wants to install to was the problem C:\Program Files\OneTwo3DO it didn't like the space in the Program Files name.

Anyway I've created my first 3do  :unsure:  :dribble:

Thankyou for all your help

Craig