Phantom bump

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luis Babboni

Luis Babboni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

This questions is different to all others I did before.
It sounds a little stupid question and cause that, I took 3 hours of fight before asking it.
I find phantom walls first when the angle between two 20xx walls with height is not smooth enough.

But here, I have a different trouble. More than this, in the same track I did the same at least in three places and I have the problem just in one.
Here the graphical "information":
Posted Image

I have two traces over the sidewalk, one at 15cm to the other.
None the HeightED; none the 3DSimEd none the very GPL show nothing.
But there is an invisible bump under the Mirage right rear wheel.
If the gap altitudes between the traces are zero, the bump dissapear, but if the gap have just 30cm, the bump appears... and I need near 1 metre gap!
In the same picture it is possible to see few mettres ahead an identical slope and there there are no bumps troubles at all. On the other side of the track theres is another slope similar to the two here, and ahve no phantom bumps neither.

I tried to solve it using two grass walls together to not put a wall crossing traces; puting a 3do over the bump to hide it (the jump the car do over the bump is too much greater that is credible cause any 3do); flatening the trace and rise it again several times; smoothing the gradients; increasing the gradients; making the lenght of the section where the little hill goes down greater and shorter; making the gap greater and shorter....

No way, the invisible jump is always there.

As I said before, the "invisible solid continuation" that appears when the angle between two 20xx walls with height is not small enough appears always... so I need to use differents way to do what I need to solve it..... but here, the problem appears just there, the same situation in other palces not give problems.... so... I really annoyed.

Any comment?

Thanks.

PS: here the real place:
Posted Image

Edited by Luis Babboni, 01 May 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#2 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

It is a bug in GPL.

I had to face similar situation on different tracks and solved basically in 3 ways:
1. use a TRK different than the 3DO and stay flat in the physics department while you see the bank in the 3DO
2. add a 3do, like a haybale or something to "cover" the bump
3. if the spot is enough far away from the road, do nothing :)

Done these tracks and working on others.

#3 Luis Babboni

Luis Babboni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:51 AM

Thanks Ginetto.
As I said, I tried with a square chair as you see in the real image but the jump the car do is too much greater than can you asign to crash on to the chair.
Knowing what you said, now so, mi idea is to flat the trk and not the gtk and put there the chair to avoid that drivers know that the bank doesnt really exist more than as an "optic illusion" :-)

Edited by Luis Babboni, 02 May 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#4 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

Perfect solution :thumbup:

Done these tracks and working on others.