2 replies to this topic

#1 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:39 AM

Hi all,

How do I lower the front suspention pickup point? It's the point where the top wishbone meets the chassis. It's a little bit too high and I'd like to lower it somewhat. How can I do this?

Tommie.

Attached Files

#2 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,071 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

assuming that is a 3-sided polygon with an alpha map on it, you could find out which vertexes are involved in the polyon, find the one you need and check if that vertex is used for anything else, for example as a part of the bodywork. if it isn't, just locate the vertex number in the points section of the .3do and lower the ugh z? value (well you will know looking at the values, the one that is similar for all 3 vertexes). if the vertex is used by another element, bodywork for instance, create a new point with the approximate coordinates and then edit the polygon and replace the old vertex # with this one, may need to remove and add the new one...

this is written off the top of my head, but could do the trick :) unless you had something really sophisticated in mind :D.
if the suspension is an external part, basically the same applies, only you would do it in the external part 3do

#3 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

View PostTvO, on 30 March 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

Hi all,

How do I lower the front suspention pickup point? It's the point where the top wishbone meets the chassis. It's a little bit too high and I'd like to lower it somewhat. How can I do this?

Tommie.

What i did with the caterhams was make a flat 3D graphical drawing of the suspension setup and add the vertices to each connection. Some parts are cubic rods and some are flat polygons(or double sided) so you need to know which connection set of vertices you need to reposition in the same go.

Best way to start is step through the entire suspension tree and write down each polygon with it's vertices so you know what goes where(i also made a drawing of the separate parts in a tree to visualize stuff better) If it's a cubic rod put all 4 polygons below each other and you'll see the way it's drawn (connecting polygons will have the same start and end vertice)
You need to do this for all distant switch nodes because it could be that not all nodes share the same vertices.
They mostly are and have less objects in it the further away they are but it's best to check that otherwise you get some strange flipping of structures when a car get's closer or further away.

I don't know if your aware of this but it's possible to shift the entire suspension static points by using a positioner in front of the flavor 17 node. Might be handy to stretch the suspension to connect to the chassis in 1 go :)
It's something i still need to do for the 50's mods.

It might also make it a bit easier shifting points to see how much you need to lower or raise a certain point.
Wish i had known this before i did the caterham suspension, i altered those the hard way e.g. altering all static points to connect to the chassis :rolleyes:

(had to sift through a pile as thick as a bible to find my notes on the caterham back again, guess a lot has happened last couple of months/years :D )

If you need more help just let me know.

Oh, and make notes with what amount you raise/lower sections, saves you time redoing stuff ;)

Edited by MECH, 30 March 2011 - 01:10 PM.

Cheers,

Martin