8 replies to this topic

#1 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi all,

I'd like to add lighting to the polygon in the screenshot. The car is the standard 1966 mod Eagle Climax. The polygon is offset 0x12ca8 in GPLEditor. (select 'Edit'-->'Find Node by Offset')

I presume I need to change the type from 81f to 821 but how do I do this? I presume I can then nick the normal values from the polygon in front, 0x12a1c ?

I'd like to do the same with the intake bubble covering the trumpets and with the piece of bodywork on top. Obviously I can't nick the normal values from other polygons any more, so after adjusting those 81f's to 821's, how do you determine the normals?

:wave: Tommie.

Attached Files

#2 Paul Skingley

Paul Skingley

Honored Member

• 1,677 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

View PostTvO, on Jan 8 2010, 02:27 AM, said:

Hi all,

I'd like to add lighting to the polygon in the screenshot. The car is the standard 1966 mod Eagle Climax. The polygon is offset 0x12ca8 in GPLEditor. (select 'Edit'-->'Find Node by Offset')

I presume I need to change the type from 81f to 821 but how do I do this? I presume I can then nick the normal values from the polygon in front, 0x12a1c ?

I'd like to do the same with the intake bubble covering the trumpets and with the piece of bodywork on top. Obviously I can't nick the normal values from other polygons any more, so after adjusting those 81f's to 821's, how do you determine the normals?

Hi Tommie,
Charlie, showed me how to do this once but I can't find the notes he sent me. I am sure he can help if you send him a PM.

paul

#3 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,261 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

View PostPaul Skingley, on Jan 8 2010, 03:44 PM, said:

View PostTvO, on Jan 8 2010, 02:27 AM, said:

Hi all,

Hi Tommie,
Charlie, showed me how to do this once but I can't find the notes he sent me. I am sure he can help if you send him a PM.

paul

Thanks Paul, I'll send him a message.

I've decided to race an Eagle for this year's GPLRACER season as Honda has ditched me... They were so impressed with Thor's and Christian's performances in the RA273 that they feel they have a better shot at winning the title again with them as drivers... Thankfully Dan Gurney has allowed me to use one of his Eagle chassis if I promise not to wreck it :P . He has even promised to make me a Weslake engine for the really fast events!

So I got my chassis and decided to polish it up... Here's a new dash I've just made.

Attached Files

#4 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Please post the solution here so it can be available for future times and editors :thumbup:

Done these tracks and working on others.

#5 CJM

CJM

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

This is the way I do it:
First I make a copy of the 3do.  Then I open the 3do with GPLTrackEditor.  Next, I open a second window of GPLTrackEditor and load the copy.  I navigate to the node for the polygon in both.  In the copy, I double click the node to open its properties.  In the original, I left click the node to select it, then I right click and choose Insert --> Replace Node --> and choose a Flavor = 0x821 from the available nodes.  Now I double click to open the new node's properties, and manually enter them, referring to the copy as necessary.  Yes, you can get the normals from the polygon in front. Remember to save your changes to the original.

Edited by CJM, 09 January 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#6 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,261 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

View PostCJM, on 09 January 2010 - 08:38 PM, said:

This is the way I do it:
First I make a copy of the 3do.  Then I open the 3do with GPLTrackEditor.  Next, I open a second window of GPLTrackEditor and load the copy.  I navigate to the node for the polygon in both.  In the copy, I double click the node to open its properties.  In the original, I left click the node to select it, then I right click and choose Insert --> Replace Node --> and choose a Flavor = 0x821 from the available nodes.  Now I double click to open the new node's properties, and manually enter them, referring to the copy as necessary.  Yes, you can get the normals from the polygon in front. Remember to save your changes to the original.

Hi Charlie,

Thank you very much that worked out great. Now off to edit the Eagle Climax some more :) .

#7 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

Guess i'm old school, i still use a piece of paper and a pencil to write down vertices and normals :P

Cheers,

Martin

#8 CJM

CJM

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

View PostTvO, on 10 January 2010 - 04:09 PM, said:

Hi Charlie,

Thank you very much that worked out great. Now off to edit the Eagle Climax some more :) .

If you need to make new normals, there is a button on the top row that lets you add them.  As for the values, the first is always 0.00 and the rest are determined by the direction you want the normal to point.  Positive values are for:  forward, left, and up; while negatives are for backward, right, and down.  I use a spreadsheet I've made to help with all the GPL math calculations.  It's not very user friendly, but I'll post it here anyway.  The Normals section is the golden shaded area on the left side ( starting about cell A,28 I think).  Enter the relative strengths for the forward, sideways and vertical components of the normal and it will calculate the values to use in GPL.  For example if I wanted the normal to point mostly forward, but a little to the right and and a little more up, I might use 5, -1, and 2.  Then use the values it calculates as the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th entries for the new normal (1st is zero, right).

Attached Files

#9 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,261 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

Thank you very much Charlie that will be very helpfull. Here's how the Eagle looks now. I also added the GPLEA v4.0 gearbox (think the 1966 Weslake Eagle has it too, Climax lacked it as it was based on an earlier version) which looks nicer, however it's not visible in the picture.

Attached Files