• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Well, I had heard speculation about it previously and now there is the confirmation. The "ancient" record
of the Nurburgring set by a blazing Stefan Bellof in a Porsche 956 in 1983 has finally been broken - by
another Porsche, the Porsche 919 Evo. An evolution of last year's Le Mans winning car taken beyond
any regulation and limitation as a concept of "what if". After crushing the Spa WR a few weeks back,
they have conquered the Nurburgring.
I have to admit I am a bit saddened by the fact that they have actually done since the sentimental part
of me wanted this record to stay forever - hence "eternal" record in the title. I have seen the video with
the sighting of the 919 Evo @ the ring by Misha Charoudin, quoting and adding the sector times as
the marshals called them in. He came up with what should have amounted to a 5:30 or faster lap, that
was not completed as the car turned into the pits at the end. I had hoped they would just do that and
leave it at that. But then again, I'm also happy that a prototype broke it and not some dull F1 with one
of those boring drivers at the helm.

Here's the video that feels like it is running at 1.25x or something:

https://youtu.be/PQmSUHhP3ug

Some interesting tidbits,
Top speed at Fuchsröhre: 328 km/h
Top speed at Döttinger Höhe 368 km/h (and there was room for more if the final ratio was different)

Insane. Well done Porsche. Well done Timo Bernhard.

#2 Lee

Lee

Honored Member

• 7,908 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Yes, it was an amazing accomplishment.

It says wonders about how fast Bellof and the P956 were 35 years ago...simply amazing that no one broke it before.

But also says wonders about how fast Bernhard and the P919 Evo are now...it not only broke the old record, it completely shattered it.

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostLee, on 29 June 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

It says wonders about how fast Bellof and the P956 were 35 years ago...simply amazing that no one broke it before.

The Group C cars never went back there after the year the record was set. Which played a role in the records lifetime. Still one can see how on the edge Bellof was that day because he tried the same thing in the race and trashed the car.

#4 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie

• 3,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

What I would like to see is the same attempt, but with last year's 919 Hybrid as per the regulations at the time.
I wonder what that difference would be and also what kind of time it would produce. It's a bit like, bring out the
917/30, dial the boost to close to max and see what time that results in.