#26 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:02 AM

Yes. Nice one ginetto. That`s done the trick. It`s looking good now. :thumbup:

Attached File  spa67 asphalt - monza.png   1.12MB   22 downloads

Ok, if I take that as my base asphalt for my Monza "build" then (I think) I`m going to have to find some other things such as a nice verge for the track. Grass, trees etc. One of the things I`d really like to change is the people in the grandstands at Monza as they look like a large "sheet" of people. Very low res.

Anyway, I`m happy I have the asphalt looking like it should now. Just so I know, if I wanted to use the Spa67 asphalt but, purely for example, make it a little darker, what`s the best way of doing that in PS?

#27 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

When you invest so much time in your update project, why not trying to make it a public release so that anyone can benefit of it?

Edited by Stefan Roess, 04 October 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#28 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

Hi Stefan,

My initial thoughts were simply that my update might not be good enough to release as this is my first "real" attempt at doing it. I`ve experimented with it before as the start of this thread shows but now at least I understand the process a little more.

If I manage to get the track updated as I`d like and it`s of a good enough standard, not causing any problems and all permissions needed have been granted then I most definitely would release it and share it with the community. I`d like to do that and give something back to the fantastic and very kind GPL community.

We`ll see how things go. :)

#29 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Anyway, I`m happy I have the asphalt looking like it should now. Just so I know, if I wanted to use the Spa67 asphalt but, purely for example, make it a little darker, what`s the best way of doing that in PS?

You load the BMP in PS then use brightness and reduce it to your liking.

To do a nice job you'll then need to edit all the margins between asphalt and grass, to make them without evident contrasts. :)

Done these tracks and working on others.

#30 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info ginetto. Yes, I did think the verges/margins would then have to also be edited. Looks like I`m going to have to spend some time looking for other things to build my Monza like grass, trees etc etc etc.

If any of you guys could recommend some of those things that you think would go well with Monza please let me know.

:)

#31 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

I`ve noticed the asphalt seems to veer off to the left (when in the car) on the approach to Curva Grande but everywhere else on track it looks ok. I`ve put a red box around the section I`m talking about.

Attached File  mza asphalt etc.png   959.92K   26 downloads

Plus, now that I`ve changed the asphalt I think the verges will have to be changed also. They don`t look right in the above image do they? (Marked in the red lines)

Also, if possible I`d like to change the trees as although they actually look ok when driving, they do look like a big box of trees when viewed from the cameras. How would I go about doing that as all the trees I`ve seen so far when looking at tracks in winmip seem to be single or small groups of trees.

#32 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:18 AM

Just wondering here guys...

What`s the best way/easiest way to fix pop ups at a track? Monza has quite a lot of them. Fences, tress and buildings. It`s hard on the eyes when I`m testing things out.

#33 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:32 AM

What`s the best way/easiest way to fix pop ups at a track?

To use FB Adjust and change the Forward Back (FB) distance view.

#34 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:47 AM

Thanks ginetto. I have that utility so I`ll have a little play about with it and see how I get on. :)

#35 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

Is this a viewing distance problem guys or is this more a camera problem? TV1 at Monza - Parabolica

Attached File  tv1 monza.png   593.92K   10 downloads

#36 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

Something's screwed up for sure :blink:
Between the 2 I would guess FB issue.

#37 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

Ok, I`ll try out the FB Adjust soon. Hopefully that`ll fix it up. Just wondering if any of you guys could see if your version of Monza has this strange view? It`s the Monza that gets installed with the installer.

#38 Db312

Db312

Not so new member

• 499 posts
  • Location:Switzerland at the bottom of the corner to the left
  • Interests:Music, music and music ! And a little bit GPL, but only very few

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

Hi tj :)

Yes it has the same bug, but it's only with this cam set. Try these ones and the problem will disappear ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Db312, 09 October 2018 - 04:50 PM.

Eternity is very long, especially at the end
- Denis quoting Woody Allen

#39 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

Hey Denis. :)

Excellent! Many thanks for the cam set. Will try them out asap. :thumbup:

#40 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:47 AM

I`ve just had a look at the Monza track folder to test these new cameras and noticed there doesn`t seem to be a monza.cam file in there. I went through the dat file too with DATman and didn`t find a cam file in there either.

Ok, I`m still in noobville here but I thought all tracks would have a cam file?

:confused:

#41 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

If there is no cam file in track folder, a default one get used instead.

#42 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:25 AM

View Postginetto, on 10 October 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

If there is no cam file in track folder, a default one get used instead.

Ahh ok. That makes sense now. Just out of curiosity, where is this default cam file?

#43 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:41 AM

Eh, no idea; some things are just implemented in the exe but I am not sure if this is the case.
If you have time to spare, you could check in all the DAT files stored in gpl subfolders; effects, layout, obj,...

#44 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

Ahh ok. I just thought it might be somewhere more obvious. I might just have a look in the DAT files one day when I`ve got some time on my hands. Well... winter is coming. :)

#45 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

:D

#46 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

First off, cheers Denis. Those new cams work perfectly. :thumbup:

Secondly, I don`t really have much time just now as I`m moving house over the next while but if I can gather some information here about the Monza update I can (hopefully) put it to good use when all the moving is finished. :)

Going back to my post above (post 31) about the verges... I have lightened the asphalt a little and, for now, I`m happy with it. I`ve also put in some other, lighter coloured curbs which I`m also happy with for now. The grass has also been changed to a slightly lighter, higher res version.

My question is:

Now that I`ve changed the asphalt to a hi res version the verges (from the original Monza) are much lower res and also don`t match the hi res version in resolution or colour. The small bits of grass on those verges don`t match the rest of the grass now it`s been changed.

So... how do I edit/change this? The screen below shows what I mean. I`d appreciate some info on how I`d go about getting the verges to match the rest of the track and grass. :)

Attached File  mza verges.png   1.12MB   13 downloads

#47 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

You need to create your own texture using Photoshop or some other editor  and use grass.bmp and asphalt.bmp as part of it. You can use the old verge.bmp as a template
then its' a matter of artistry (see what Thomas Lachele did with his version of Monza) :)

#48 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Ahh... I thought it would be something along those lines. I`ve never done this, never made any of my own textures in PS, as of now I wouldn`t even really know where to start (apart from the brief explanation you`ve given above ginetto)

If you, or anyone has any tips or advice on how to go about doing this I`d appreciate it. :)

#49 ginetto

ginetto

Master Tracker

• Administrators
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

You just experiment :)
What I did, when I made my first track Fiorano was:
Grab a grass texture, an asphalt texture then load them in photoshop.
Change their tone, color, saturation to my liking.
Then cut a strip of asphalt and a strip of grass and paste them in a new texture, thin and long (for Monza you will need it to be narrow and tall).
then, experimenting and create with the tools given by the editor, a good transition.

You will easily find tips and tricks on the internet for all these things; if you like the topic it can be very entertaining. :)

If you are on the "lazy side" and don't want to start from scratch; you can always just use an existing verge and just merge some of your asphalt on one side and some of your grass on the other side and have a working texture that you can eventually modify with time.

#50 tjc

tjc

Update Noob

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

I`m all for doing some experimenting. :) I just thought a few basic pointers on how to get things going would be good and you`ve provided that. :thumbup:

I`ll also google for tips etc as you say. I`ll do that when I have a bit more time to spare to the project. Hopefully soon.

I`ll be starting from scratch for sure as it`s the best way to learn how to do these things so won`t be using my "lazy side" :D

Thanks for the info. I`ll get to it and give it a try as soon as I can.