14 replies to this topic

#1 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hi all,

I've stumbled across a strange problem. When trying to change the tire strings on the 1969 Brabham BT26 Monaco car (folder c30), the car still uses the strings from the original Brabham high winged version (folder c00). I tried to change it from 'aXXtire0' to 'jXXtire0'. The car looks for the new strings because it doesn't load when the new files are not present in the car folder. However once loaded the car seems to use the old strings regardless. I see this is a problem encountered before by the 1969-Extra mod team, as the aXXtire files from c30 are tailor made for the slot but are the only strings not renamed to be actually used in game.

I went back to the 1967 GPLEA Brabham BT24, and it seems like the problem is also present there. Even if I change the tire strings on the car, it uses the old ones in game instead, after it's found the new strings. Really weird.

There must be something that can be done to fix this as the 1967 Formula 2 Matra is based on the GPLEA Brabham but does not have this problem any more. I've looked around in both 3do's but couldn't find anything different easily. The 3do positioner class is the same for example (0).

It's very strange how the car still tries to find the aXXtire files even though there is no trace of it in the 3do string section. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

#2 buzard

buzard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Try putting the new tire files in the main Brabham folder. See if it picks them up from there. If not there is a file somewhere calling the old files.

Where Grand Prix Legends reads from is still a mystery at times. I tried making all the cars have Lotus 49 graphics just to see if I could. Changing the first 4 was easy and after that not so easy!

#3 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,274 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yeah it's calling the old files located in the initial Brabham folder, c00. After a brainwave I'm now 99% sure it's coded in the physics. I'll have to PM some people, maybe they can help me out :) .

#4 buzard

buzard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

I never got into modding Grand Prix Legends but did you look in the *.3do file. It lists the textures to be used. Maybe it's reading the wrong *.3do and getting the wrong textures. How everyone keeps getting these cars to only work with the correct files is still amazing to me.

#5 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Yes, the tires are part of the physics iirc.
Atleast they are called for in the exe because i found that it doesn't matter what 3do you put in the tire node it still uses whatever is used in the exe.
The 65mod had a helmet in the front left tire for several cars but gpl loaded the proper tire anyway.
The reason it does is probably because the car 3do has handles (pointers) that locate the tires in the 3d model.

Cheers,

Martin

#6 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,274 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

That's what I found out as well. The 3do looks for the 3do that is indicated in the tree branch offset, but as long as it's present, it just uses what the exe tells it to. Lee has agreed to make me a new physics file to get the desired effect of different wheels for all Brabham BT26 graphics options, which is great :thumbup: . Another lesson learned :) .

BTW, when looking at some '69 mod McLaren 3do's I noticed the same thing, it uses a helmet for a left front tire :D . As long as it works... :)

#7 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yeah i noticed the flaw travelled through other mods.
The caterhams where the first indication and at first i thought it caused the steeringwheel mip problem as well.
As that turned out to be different and the helmet seemed to do no harm i never bothered to fix it for other released cars. Too much hassle for something that seems to have no effect anyway :)

But if you are providing main car 3do's with the update i would fix it if you can.
Better save then sorry ;)

Cheers,

Martin

#8 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,274 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks to Lee I now have different wheels for the various Brabhams :cool: . It works great :) .

Tommie.

Attached Files

#9 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Nice! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Martin

#10 silence

silence

Honored Member

• 1,340 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

:cool4:

#11 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• 8,344 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

.... and ..... ANOTHER BREAKTHROUGH!!!

Thank you Tommie... and Lee!  :)
Greg

... What's who's name?

#12 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Honored Member

• 1,642 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thank you all for this thread, and congrats to Tommie and Lee

Tommie,

Does it means you succeed in having different wheels skins for cars sharing the same slot, or you just installed the winged and not winged Brabhams on the same 69 carset .exe ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, 11 November 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#13 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,274 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi Michel! The 1969-Extra mod already had winged and not winged Brabhams on the same 69 carset .exe, but they shared their wheels. Thanks to Lee the wheels are now also seperated so I could get black wheels for the high winged Brabham and chrome wheels for the non winged Brabham. The low winged Brabham will get black wheels but with a wider wheel rim compared to the other two Brabhams :) .

#14 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Honored Member

• 1,642 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

That ' s why only for graphic realism, I wld like more slots for the 67 carset .We wld keep the 67 original physics that no one want to touch like a sacred icon, but with the same physics, the Coopers wld get different wheels for Siffert car, Bonnier car, and the work team cars.

It wld give more realism to the already excellent work Gianfranco did on the 67 race by race carset.
I had the hope that now tweaking  wheels wld be possible inside the same slot. :c012:

Edited by M Needforspeed, 11 November 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#15 TvO

TvO

Honored Member

• 2,274 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

There are plans for a 1967 and 1968 mod :) . I wish I had the time but on the other hand, I'll probably not get bored for quite some time :) .