Re-Coloring Polygons In .3DO Files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:53 PM

Greg (gliebzeit) suggested I post this here.

I'm having an issue as seen in the following screenshot.

Attached File  Image72.jpg   87.89K   11 downloads

This started out as Charterhall.  I'm turning it a "Belvedere" for personal use.  I changed the grass textures and background and ran into this problem.  I  am pretty sure I need to re-color all of the grass and cornfield polygons in the chart.3do file.  I lowered the horizon some but it is about as low as it can go without being all sky.  I started re-coloring polygons with 3doeds.exe but soon found that I was going to be spending the next five or so years working away at it going polygon by polygon.  Is there a way to "grab" all of the "grass" polygons and all of the "cornfield" polygons and change their colors at one time, or is this going to be one long, long, long project?

Thanks for any input.

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,853 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:02 PM

Welcome, Brent.
Greg

... What's who's name?

#3 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:09 PM

Thanks Greg.    I posted a couple of questions and a set of vintage adverts and logos under another user name awhile back.  :)

#4 Paul Skingley

Paul Skingley

Honored Member

• 4,428 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:31 AM

Hi Brent.
That looks like the ground .mip or maybe the lower part of the horizon.

#5 Royale

Royale

Honored Member

• Administrators
  • 5,832 posts
  • Interests:Vroom vroom

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

Hey Brent !

#6 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

Paul, I always use the same texture for "grass" and "ground", and the horizon texture extends all the way down to the bottom of the tiles, so those are not the problem.  I can open the track .3do and see the polygon colors that are bleeding through.  I just don't particularly want to go about changing the colors of all of them individually if I can do it all at once.

#7 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:13 AM

Hi Bob.  Very sorry I missed the flurry of your F5000 thread here seven (!) years ago but I lost my account details and pretty much my interest in GPL until it rekindled a year or so ago.  Now it's back with a vengeance.  :)

#8 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,807 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:37 PM

It is a long time ago and I can't necessarily remember, but there is a passing chance that I have added extra coloured polygons inside the horiz.3do file to avoid the inverse problem when the cornfields were cornfields and so not wanting the grass to appear above those areas. :)

If you don't want the cornfields and want all of the grass to be the same colour, then why not just change all of the grass.mip, ground.mip and whatever name I used for the various cornfields etc. to being the same file, just with different names?

Rob

#9 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:58 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on 19 September 2021 - 12:37 PM, said:

If you don't want the cornfields and want all of the grass to be the same colour, then why not just change all of the grass.mip, ground.mip and whatever name I used for the various cornfields etc. to being the same file, just with different names?

Rob

Thanks, but that's what I've done.  I've used the same grass.mip and copied and re-named it "ground", ""grsfld2", "cornfld2", "dirt", etc.  Everything's consistent.  I've checked it several times.  I replaced the .cam file and that's when I noticed that there are several spots around the track seen from the TV 1 and 2 camera views where bright patches of green and yellow can be seen on the ground.  When I opened the Chart.3do file, I could see that parts of the track were colored differently.  I'm sure that's what I'm seeing, and I'm sure that if I change all of the polygon colors to my new grass color the problem will go away, but I hate to think I'm going to have to do every one of them individually.

#10 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Honored Member

• 4,807 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:47 PM

:think:

If you have overwitten those other files with the same mip then there must still be another mip that you've missed then which will be colouring them.

Rob

#11 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:23 PM

Rob,  you were right.  I did miss the grsfld3 and cornfld3 .mip files.  I thought there were only two.  For some reason Winmip2 failed to extract and convert them and I didn't find them until I looked at the .dat file with DATMAN.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!  :)